History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mathon, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1103 / 52°6'37"N

Longitude: -2.3903 / 2°23'25"W

OS Eastings: 373367

OS Northings: 245846

OS Grid: SO733458

Mapcode National: GBR 0FK.NHT

Mapcode Global: VH933.J762

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302229

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151494

Location: Mathon, County of Herefordshire, WR13

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Mathon

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Mathon

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Mathon

Listing Text

SO 74 NW MATHON C.P -

Church of St John the Baptist
1/95

6.3.67

- II*


Church. Late C11 - C14 with C19 alterations. Old red sandstone, tiled roofs.
2 stage C14 west tower, 5 bay nave, south porch, 2 bay chancel, vestry. Tower
has diagonal buttresses and, above nave roof, corbelled projecting corners to
north-east and south-east; contemporary leaded door with strap-hinges. Herring-
bone masonry band below eaves level of nave for much of its length on both north
and south sides. Directly opposite south door is a blocked Norman north door
with rope-moulding to lintol and shouldered jambs. Lancets to north and
cusped 'Y' tracery paired lancets, heavily restored to south wall. Blocked
Norman semi-circular headed window to west of south porch. Timber-framed
porch on stone plinth, probably C16, to south door, with acanthus spandrels
to south lintol and raking struts to roof. East end of chancel has a pair
of Norman windows with a roundel centrally placed above; trefoiled 2-light
south window and semi-circular headed priest's door, heavily restored. South
entrance to nave has rope moulding beneath plain typanum. Interior: nave has
no arcade; deep splays to north windows. Roof, possibly C16, of 6 bays of
arch-braced single-collar trusses with 2 rows of wind-braces, the lower ones
cusped. 2 inserted tie-beams at about 1½ and 4½ roof bays from west end.
Jacobean pulpit with C19 steps and balusters. C14 - C15 muniment chest with
strap hinges and multiple locks. Floor monument to Allen Cliefe (sic) died
1752. No chancel arch, instead a tie-beam rests on C19 corbels. Chancel has
deeply splayed east window, wagon roof with restored wind-braces; monument
north of altar to Jane Walweyn, died 1617, consisting of deceased and husband
kneeling at a prie-dieu. The nave roof structure shows great similarity to
that of the Church of St James, Colwall (qv) even in respect of inserted,
probably C17 tie-beams. Cliffe monument is a typical example of mis-spelling
by an illiterate but otherwise competent craftsman.


Listing NGR: SO7336745846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.