History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eachwick Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stamfordham, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0348 / 55°2'5"N

Longitude: -1.8214 / 1°49'16"W

OS Eastings: 411515

OS Northings: 571153

OS Grid: NZ115711

Mapcode National: GBR HBQ6.GZ

Mapcode Global: WHC37.ZQV4

Entry Name: Eachwick Hall

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 238862

Location: Stamfordham, Northumberland, NE18

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Stamfordham

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Heddon-on-the-Wall St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Dalton

Listing Text

STAMFORDHAM EACHWICK
NZ 17 SW

16/375 Eachwick Hall
27.8.52

GV II*


House. Early C18, extended to rear 1768, west side altered early C19. Ashlar
with Welsh slate roof. Originally a T-plan house but now, with subsequent
additions, 4 irregular ranges round a small courtyard.

3-storey, 9-bay facade. Central doorway has surround of Tuscan pilasters
superimposed on taller, square corniced piers with urn finials; shield in
elaborate cartouche above door. Narrow, mainly 2-pane sashes, with moulded
sills and roll-moulded edges to reveals. Outer 2 bays on each side have top
cornices and castellated parapets with higher corniced and castellated corner
turrets. Gabled roofs with corniced end and ridge stacks.

3-bay facade on left return has 2-storey centre and 3-storey castellated outer
bays. Early C19 castellated porch with 6-panelled door flanked by Tuscan
pilasters; cartouche over. Late C18 Gothick window above. Outer bays have
sash windows with double-chamfered surrounds and parapets similar to front but
each pierced with a vertical oval. Right bay is early C18, left bay an early
C19 copy to create symmetry.

To rear former segmental archway into courtyard, now blocked with C20 door,
has moulded panel above inscribed CEJ
1768.

Interior: Staircase with turned balusters, wreathed, ramped and moulded handrail,
moulded soffit and panelled dado; large round-headed stair window opens on to
courtyard; early C19 plaster ceiling with modillion cornice. Dining room:
early C18 panelling with bolection moulded fireplace flanked by fluted pilasters;
2 round-headed niches. Drawing room, also panelled with fluted pilasters
framing fireplace and a door; another doorway and a niche have panelled
pilasters and panelled round-headed sopraporte; the niche has shaped shelves.
A 2nd drawing room has fireplace with eared architrave, fluted pilasters,
and frieze of metopes and triglyphs above panelled overmantel.


Listing NGR: NZ1151571153

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.