History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1679 / 51°10'4"N

Longitude: -1.3794 / 1°22'45"W

OS Eastings: 443488

OS Northings: 141146

OS Grid: SU434411

Mapcode National: GBR 84M.L2X

Mapcode Global: VHD0H.1XM1

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302289

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139550

Location: Barton Stacey, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO21

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Barton Stacey

Built-Up Area: Barton Stacey

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Barton Stacey All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Sutton Scotney

Listing Text

SU 44 SW BARTON STACEY MAIN STREET
(West Side)

4/83 Church of All Saints

II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C15, C16, and restoration of 1877. Originally a
Norman 2-cell church, given north and south aisles circa 1180, with 2 arches
supported by round pillars, which remain. Extensions eastward in the C13
continued the arcade, with 2 octagonal columns on each side, ending in a
short chancel. The eastern unit of the arcade opens onto transepts, with
arches separating them from the aisles, supporting another (or chancel) arch
across the nave. Tiled roof. Flint walls with stone dressings; lancets
and Perpendicular windows, some corner buttresses. The chief feature is a
western tower of circa 1610 (set into the end of the nave) of Perpendicular
style, with castellated parapet, octagonal stair turret incorporated within
one of 2 massive diagonal buttresses. South porch of the last period.
Within, there are several wall monuments of the early C19, and floor slabs
of the late C18, a Purbeck font of the 2nd period, having a square bowl,
with arcaded sides, resting on a central drum and 4 columns, medieval
encaustic tiles in the sanctuary, a C17 altar table with carved (Flemish)
figures, and Prescription boards (in the tower).


Listing NGR: SU4351641215

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.