This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3162 / 52°18'58"N
Longitude: -2.8609 / 2°51'39"W
OS Eastings: 341411
OS Northings: 269023
OS Grid: SO414690
Mapcode National: GBR BD.W69X
Mapcode Global: VH76Z.C1FR
Entry Name: Oakley House
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302295
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150228
Location: Wigmore, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Wigmore
Built-Up Area: Wigmore
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
WIGMORE CP BROAD STREET (east side)
SO 4069 - 4169
8/49 Oakley House
House. Circa 1600 with mid-C19 alterations. Timber-framed with painted
brick and rendered infill on rubble base and slate roofs. Hall and cross-
wing plan; hall part of three framed bays aligned north/south with rear
external rubble chimney and rebuilt brick stack enclosed by wing of one
framed bay. Intersecting cross-wing of probably two framed bays at north
end. Two storeys. Framing: two rows of rectangular panels per storey with
some long straight braces in lower corners. The first floor of the west
front elevation is jettied on a moulded bressummer and moulded corbels.
The cross-wing gable end has a deeper jetty supported on two timber posts
(it was once underbuilt). The gable of the jetty has a collar and tie-beam
truss with four struts and a concave V-strut above the collar. Rear wing
has a collar and tie-beam truss with three struts, and a V-strut above the
collar. West front elevation: the ground floor of the hall has two oriel
windows, one with C19 casements and on its original moulded base with a
central moulded corbel; the other with C19 multi-paned metal windows and the
(possibly original) base boxed in and plastered is also a C20 casement of two
lights. The south end bay has no ground floor and forms an archway for rear
access. On the first floor are two 3-light and two single-light casements.
The cross-wing has two ground floor single-light casements and a 3-light first
floor casement, above which is a plank weathering attached to the tie-beam.
The central doorway below has a half-glazed door and above it is a Sun Alliance
fire insurance mark, No 339138. Interior has stop-chamfered main ceiling beams.
The southernmost room is recorded to be lined with original panelling, carved
and enriched and bearing the initials "KP". (RCHM, Herefs, Vol III, p 210,
item 7). -
Listing NGR: SO4141469022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings