History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Calshot Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fawley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8199 / 50°49'11"N

Longitude: -1.3075 / 1°18'27"W

OS Eastings: 448877

OS Northings: 102487

OS Grid: SU488024

Mapcode National: GBR 88Z.D8D

Mapcode Global: FRA 864X.Y5J

Entry Name: Calshot Castle

Listing Date: 10 June 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302351

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143419

Location: Fawley, New Forest, Hampshire, SO45

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

Civil Parish: Fawley

Built-Up Area: Ower

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Fawley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Fawley

Listing Text

FAWLEY CALSHOT
SU 40 SE
13/13 Calshot Castle
II*

Castle. 1538-41 for Henry VIII's coastal defences, altered C18, 1868-71
and C20, twice restored by DoE 1985. Dressed squared Portland stone, brick
and old plain tile roofed addition. Plan of circular moat around circular
island with wall around edge, raised to 3 storeys on one quadrant, for gate
house. In centre of island 3½ storey keep tower. Both sides of moat faced
in dressed stone, with moulded coping. On inner side wall rises from coping
with open-topped embrasure. The 3 storey quadrant has slightly projecting
full-height gatehouse. C20 bridge stands in front of recessed 2 deep order
pointed archway with double doors. Each side pilaster with impost to
chevron hood. Panel over, framed by pilasters with early Renaissance
decoration. Each side loopholes. 3rd floor heavy moulded string course,
that wall originally coping before wall was raised in C18. In centre,
cutting string is 12-pane sash. Either side of gateway are embrasures now
fitted with 2-light casements and heavy moulded string course at head of
gateway level. Central keep tower has only pointed doorway on ground floor.
Moulded 1st floor string. On 1st floor tall embrasures with 12-pane sashes.
2nd floor raised band. On 1st floor wider embrasures with 12-pane sashes,
set slightly off-centre to those on 1st floor. Moulded cornice to tall
parapet that has additional floor behind it. Building now in Ancient
Monuments guardianship and owned by Hampshire County Council.


Listing NGR: SP4887602487

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.