This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1131 / 51°6'47"N
Longitude: -1.4876 / 1°29'15"W
OS Eastings: 435961
OS Northings: 134997
OS Grid: SU359349
Mapcode National: GBR 73X.2QQ
Mapcode Global: VHC3C.59D0
Entry Name: Remains of Old Church
Listing Date: 27 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302362
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140401
Location: Stockbridge, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Stockbridge
Built-Up Area: Stockbridge
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Stockbridge St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 3535 & SU33SE STOCKBRIDGE STOCKBRIDGE
15/31 and 7/31 Remains of Old Church
Chancel of old church. Circa 1300, rest demolished c1866. Rubble flint mostly
rendered with stone dressings and brick repairs. Chancel has C14 2-light
trefoiled E window. To N small NE buttress, taller NW buttress and on wall
memorials; C17 to Jones Cesom, 1737 to Anne Gauntlet, 1764 to Thomas Gauntlet,
1729 to Edward Avenvile, 1774 to John Attwood. S wall has low square opening
with timber lintel at E with reset corbel blocks either side. To W late C13
pointed 2 chamfered order arch with hollow chamfered impost with bead, blocked
in, orginally to S chapel. To W late C13 pointed, 2 order chancel arch with
simply mounded capitals but carved breasts as stops to returns, and shafts
with moulded bases. Arch blocked in but in centre reset C15 door of 2 moulded
orders with C19 plank door with studs and straps each side short buttress.
Inside older large pointed rear arch to E window. Each side painted on wall
achievements of royal arms, to S 'ER 1588', to N 'GR 1726'. In N Wall 2 blocked
painted windows. Memorial on N wall 1683 to Mary Gibes. In SE is pointed
niche with damaged piscina below. To W round arch with slight chamfer, possibly
sedilion. Inside is square low window. C17 altar table. Roof has ceiling above
cambered tie. VCH; 1911; Vol 4; p485.
Listing NGR: SU3549935143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings