History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clanfield, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9383 / 50°56'17"N

Longitude: -0.9596 / 0°57'34"W

OS Eastings: 473200

OS Northings: 115946

OS Grid: SU732159

Mapcode National: GBR CD1.473

Mapcode Global: FRA 86WM.FZH

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302399

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142816

Location: Clanfield, East Hampshire, Hampshire, PO8

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Clanfield

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Chalton

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Clanfield

Listing Text

SU 71 NW CLANFIELD SOUTH LANE, Chalton

6/8 Church of St Michael

16.3.54 II*

Parish church. Late C12 or early C13 Early English chancel, nave and western
tower, C14 south transept, and C19 north porch. Walls of flint (some plaster
work in the chancel) with stone quoins, stepped buttresses to the chancel, brick
quoins to the upper part of the tower. Plain tile roof. The plain tower has a
low crenellated parapet, a small pyramid roof, and small openings; a wide plain
doorway, now filled, was the entrance to the church. The porch has a flint and
stone wall, with pierced wooden frame above, supporting a gabled roof with
decorative bargeboards. The windows are mostly tall lancets, the south side of
the nave having a coupled light with a (plate tracery) trefoil head, the north
side a coupled light of the Decorated style with reticulated tracery, repeated in
the south window of the transept, in the chancel there is a low-side window
beneath a filled lancet and a restored 4-light east window of Geometrical style.
Interior: there are deep splays to the windows, and a cill band in the chancel,
double trefoil heads to a piscina, and an aumbry cupboard. The arch to the
transept has half-columns (responds) of octagonal form, and the octagonal font
(C15) is placed there. Wall monuments include a kneeling figure within a
Corinthian framework (Richard Ball, died 1632), two other classical monuments, of
1720 and 1829, and small monuments of 1819 and 1933.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.