History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buriton, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9748 / 50°58'29"N

Longitude: -0.9471 / 0°56'49"W

OS Eastings: 474015

OS Northings: 120016

OS Grid: SU740200

Mapcode National: GBR CCH.TL8

Mapcode Global: FRA 86XJ.LTS

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302500

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142776

Location: Buriton, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU31

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Buriton

Built-Up Area: Buriton

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Buriton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Buriton

Listing Text

7420 BURITON NORTH LANE

13/18 Church of St Mary

16.3.54 II*

Parish church. C12 nave of four bays with aisles (rebuilt c1300 (south) and
1764 (north)), C13 chancel and vestry, west tower of 1715, south porch of 1860,
and minor later additions. Walls of flint, some malmstone, ironstone to the tower,
stone dressings; Victorian Gothic windows, mostly small coupled cusped lancets,
but tracery in the chancel, small buttresses. Tile roof, extending to a low
eaves above the aisles. Slender plain tower, with battlements and tall narrow
openings. Interior: nave arcade of plain recessed arches, on circular columns
with square mouldings above scalloped capitals: the chancel has a piscina and
sedilia (with cusps within the arches) and an aumbry. C12 Purbeck square font
on five columns. There are several wall monuments in the chancel, some of the C18,
and two small brass monuments of 1617 and 1698. The choir vestry (south of the
tower) contains an altar tomb with iron rails (late C17 and early C18) to the
Bilson family. The open framed wood chancel arch is unusual.


Listing NGR: SU7496621407

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.