This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1001 / 51°6'0"N
Longitude: -1.161 / 1°9'39"W
OS Eastings: 458840
OS Northings: 133758
OS Grid: SU588337
Mapcode National: GBR 970.TJJ
Mapcode Global: VHD0Z.TMK0
Entry Name: Old Alresford Place
Listing Date: 16 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302525
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145198
Location: Old Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Old Alresford
Built-Up Area: Old Alresford
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Old Alresford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 53 SE OLD ALRESFORD OLD ALRESFORD
8/39 Old Alresford
Rectory, now Diocesan Centre. Circa 1740 for Dr John Headley, rector. Brick
with old plain tile roof. Original 5 by 3 bay building with similar block
added to rear circa 1817 and door moved to centre bay of end of original
block and mid C19 service wings added. Front 2½ storeys, 5 bays with central
bay, and giant pilaster at ends, of blue brick with red brick dressings.
Door replaced by sash with stone console brackets either side supporting
stone slab porch roof. Sashes all 18-pane with louvred stone sills, blind
boxes, lowered and rubbed brick arches. Moulded brick 1st floor string
course and 5 12-pane sashes with blind boxes, rubbed brick arches and stone
cills. Central window in raised panel with blind opening below, pilasters
either side supporting elliptical rubbed brick arch. Moulded 2nd floor
string course. 5 9-pane fixed windows, with blind boxes and rubbed brick
arches. Moulded, toothed brick cornice and parapet with stone coping.
Inside on ground floor at front large drawing room of 1817 with contempor-
ary fireplace, plaster decoration to walls, with bracketed cornice and Ionic
screen dividing off third of room. Plainer staircase hall has domed glass
cupola, Other rooms have C18 fittings.
Listing NGR: SU5876034222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings