History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 6 Monuments in the Church-Yard of the Church of St Peter, Circa 5-9 Metres South of the Vestry

A Grade II Listed Building in Windrush, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8156 / 51°48'56"N

Longitude: -1.7209 / 1°43'15"W

OS Eastings: 419336

OS Northings: 213028

OS Grid: SP193130

Mapcode National: GBR 4RF.3QP

Mapcode Global: VHBZR.4M2K

Entry Name: Group of 6 Monuments in the Church-Yard of the Church of St Peter, Circa 5-9 Metres South of the Vestry

Listing Date: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302528

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130686

Location: Windrush, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, OX18

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Windrush

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Windrush St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Great Rissington

Listing Text

WINDRUSH THE GREEN, Windrush Village
SP 1913
10/249 Group of 6 monuments in the church-
yard of the Church of St. Peter,
c5-9m south of the vestry
GV II

Single headstone, row of three headstones and pair of headstones.
C17-C18. Limestone.
Single early-mid C18 on east side of group. Segmental head.
Illegible cartouche-like inscription surrounded by scrollwork.
Single, winged cherub's head centre top, badly eroded central
panel.
Row of three headstones c2.5m west. Headstone on left with almost
illegible inscription plaque including the date 1723. Angel's head
top centre with wings folded down around side of inscription
plaque. Deeply carved fruit and flowers either side of head.
Similar decoration around bottom of inscription plaque.
Headstone to right of the latter, dated 1731. Winged cherub's head
at top. Two 5-petal flowers below. Swags with ribbon ties at top
running down sides either side of inscription.
Headstone to right of the latter. Probably late C17-early C18
(date possibly obscured by ground level). Round head with raised
margin. Crudely executed incised inscription in capitals.
Pair of headstones c2.5m west. Illegible inscription. Angel with
pronounced bust and wings folded down either side of inscription
plaque. Angel's hands hold open a book below her chest. Foliate
scrollwork either side of angel's head. Early C18 headstone to
right with badly eroded circular inscription plaque surrounded by
foliate scrollwork. Single, winged cherub's head at centre top.


Listing NGR: SP1933613028

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.