This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2418 / 52°14'30"N
Longitude: -2.413 / 2°24'46"W
OS Eastings: 371896
OS Northings: 260476
OS Grid: SO718604
Mapcode National: GBR FZ.0XRY
Mapcode Global: VH92B.4X6B
Entry Name: Woodmanton Farmhouse, Kitchen, Outbuildings and Tower Base
Listing Date: 12 November 1951
Last Amended: 21 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302591
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151550
Location: Clifton upon Teme, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Clifton upon Teme
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Clifton-upon-Teme
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 76 SW CLIFTON UPON TEME -
2/17 Woodmanton Farmhouse, kitchen
outbuildings and tower base
12.11.51 (formerly listed as
Farmhouse, kitchen and outbuildings with tower base. In three parts.
Farmhouse: about 1827. Red brick, probably formerly stuccoed, hipped slate
roof, 2 brick stacks. Plain villa. 2 storeys, plain pilasters at corners.
3 windows: 16-pane sashes under rubbled brick heads; ground floor: 20-pane
sashes flanking central entrance with stuccoed portico, the square plan
pillars bear incised Soanean design, and support flat canopy with moulded
cornice, the door is half glazed with a marginally glazed rectangular fan-
light. Kitchen: possibly former chapel, attached to north east corner of
house: C14 with C16 to C19 alterations. Timber-frame with brick cladding
and rubble additions. 2 storeys with 3 ranges of C19 casements, under
segmental heads on ground floor, underside of tie-beam on left gable (visible
from the rear) indicates position of a former window; rubble outshut to rear
probably C18. Interior: 2 framed bays; central truss has massive tie-beam
(formerly with solid curved braces), jowelled main posts; the ashlar pieces
are curved and extend to meet the curved braces to the collar, forming a
2 centred arch; the common rafters have similar ashlar pieces and braces;
there are no purlins. The wall-plate is of 2 timbers, with roll mouldings.
Blocked 2-light window with ogee trefoiled heads in rear (north) wall. Existing
floor is probably C17, stack probably inserted in C16. Outbuildings with
tower base, attached to south west corner of house: mid C19 and possibly C14.
Rubble with plain tile roof. L plan, circular tower base at extreme north
west corner. 3 bays in south range, 4 in west range with segmental headed
openings, C20 rsj to main opening in north range, principal feature the
base of a coursed rubble tower at north west corner projecting into moat.
The tower base, moat to west and south of house and possible chapel may date
to 1332 when John de Wisham obtained a licence to crenellate. (VCH 4, page
247; BoE page 122).
Listing NGR: SO7189660476
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings