History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Longstock, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1319 / 51°7'54"N

Longitude: -1.4884 / 1°29'18"W

OS Eastings: 435896

OS Northings: 137078

OS Grid: SU358370

Mapcode National: GBR 73J.VZS

Mapcode Global: VHC35.5T06

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140228

Location: Longstock, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Longstock

Built-Up Area: Longstock

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Longstock St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Stockbridge

Listing Text

SU 35 37 LONGSTOCK LONGSTOCK (west side)

12/6 CHURCH OF ST MARY

GV II

Parish church. 1876-80 by W White. Flint with tile bands and stone dressings,
old plain tile roof, shingled spire. Plan of chancel and NW vestry on end of
N aisle to nave, with tower in NW corner. Plinth with stone offset and 2 thin
tile bands at approx top and bottom of windows all round church. E end of
chancel has tall 3-light trefoiled window with similar in E end of vestry,
and stepped buttresses either side. S wall has 2 lancets, E one trefoiled and
pointed door between with trefoiled light over. Nave has to S stepped buttresses
at E & W of trefoiled 2-light with trefoil in head window. In centre 3-light
trefoiled window and to W gabled timber porch on stone and flint walls, with
round arch containing carved gates and crown post over, with trefoiled lancet to
W side. 3-light trefoiled with quatrefoil in head W window. N wall has trefoiled
lancet in vestry, in aisle 2 trefoiled 2-light, with quatrefoil in head,
windows either side of chimney with buttress supporting it and offset in above
eaves level. Pointed 2 order door to W. NW tower has 2 lancets on bottom
stage to W. In middle stage quatrefoil to N and lancet to W. 2 bell openings
on each face of top stage with large shingled louvres and squat broach spire
with vane. In NE corner tall N Buttress. Inside all original. Impressive
chancel has reredos and panelled sanctuary with C17 altar rails with turned
balusters, moulded hand and base rails, stained glass by Mayer of Munich. C15
encaustic tiles reset behind altar. Roof with horizontally set angels on
corbels to arched braces. In vestry pieces of C15 stonework and C13 window
and piscina. Pointed chancel arch with lily and rose capitals. Timber screen.
In NE of N aisle medieval coffin lid in floor. Arcade of 3 bays with pointed
arches on round columns. 2 corona-lucis survive. Arched brace roof with ties
to inner trusses and angels on corbels to others. Font by S door restored
Cl5 of octagonal bowl on octagonal shaft on octagonal base. Bells of 1591 and
1617.


Listing NGR: SU3611937483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.