This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9724 / 51°58'20"N
Longitude: -2.3365 / 2°20'11"W
OS Eastings: 376982
OS Northings: 230494
OS Grid: SO769304
Mapcode National: GBR 0HC.B3W
Mapcode Global: VH93Q.GP59
Entry Name: The Down House
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302873
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125957
Location: Redmarley D'abitot, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Redmarley D'Abitot
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Redmarley d'Abitot St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
REDMARLEY D'ABITOT -
SO 73 SE
6/139 The Down House
Country house. 1823 by Thomas Rickman for G. Dowdeswell, altered
1875 by F. S. Waller for Col. S. G. Scobell; altered c1960.
Render lined as ashlar, slate roof. Five by 3 bays, 2 1/2 storeys.
Entrance front 3 bay: central prostyle tetrastyle fluted Doric
porch, up 3 stone steps, Doric frieze, flat roof. Plain pilasters
to rear: double doors, 3 panels each, dummy fielding, up one stone
step; 4-pane rectangular fanlight over: narrow 8-pane sashes each
side. Plinth to left and right, gratings for cellar openings in
front, stone mounting block on right: one sash each side. Plain
string course at window sill level first floor: sash each side,
slightly projecting centre with sashed Venetian window. Moulded
cornice, plain parapet, plain chimneys on ridge behind either side
centres. Hipped roof and chimney on left end. Right return
plain plinth, 2 sashes each side centre, prostyle tetrastyle
unfluted Doric porch with frieze and pediment: up 3 stone steps,
plain pilasters to rear; three-quarter glazed double doors,
panelled below, rectangular fanlight over: narrow 4 pane sashes
each side. String course as front, 2 sashes each side, slightly
recessed centre with sashed tripartite window: cornices and
parapet as front.
Interior: dado rails guilloche moulded. Entrance hall marble
fireplace with tapered sides: moulded plaster cornice. Arches to
central hall, cantilevered stone stairs up left wall, fluted Doric
columns support centre landing: cantilevered balcony on 2 sides
above: brass balusters, moulded handrail, wreath at bottom.
Large rooflight over, panelled ceiling with moulded cornice.
Plaster cornice front room on right. Rear on right: dado,
moulded plaster cornice, frieze over door. Plain Ionic screen,
fluted frieze, with palmettes separates end of room: fluted Ionic
columns to fireplace surround, palmettes and plaque with child
lighting fire over. Panelled shutters. Centre room opposite
entrance moulded plaster cornice, marble fireplace with caryatids.
To left end of room cut off by fluted Ionic screen, plain Doric
pilasters against walls; dentil cornice, panelled shutters. Some
moulded plaster cornices first floor: 4 panel doors. Second
floor rooms separated from exterior by continuous void, open onto
lightwell with Yorkshire sliding sashes. Greek revival house,
entrance on present right return, altered to present entrance by F.
S. Waller; stairs altered, and parts of interior; of main rooms
only rear left and centre unaltered. In 1958-'60 three-storey
servants' wing on left demolished: new back stair formed. (H.
Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978; D.
Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)
Listing NGR: SO7698230494
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings