This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4483 / 51°26'53"N
Longitude: -0.9728 / 0°58'22"W
OS Eastings: 471479
OS Northings: 172646
OS Grid: SU714726
Mapcode National: GBR QLJ.L8
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.3V2L
Entry Name: Former Kennet Arms
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39119
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Katesgrove
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 7172 13/546
No. 2 (Former Kennet Arms)
(Formerly listed as No 2 (The Kennet Arms))
Late C18 or early C19, possibly built in connection with the Kennet and Avon canal. 3 storeys, 2x2 bays. Red and grey chequered brick with stucco quoins; the twin-gabled Pell Street elevation now painted, and the Elgar Road elevation stuccoed. Multi-pane sash windows to first and second floors. Tiled M-shaped roof with brick block cornice and central stack. Ground floor has pub front of with pulvinated fascia, panelled doors, window joinery and plaster scrolls at corners, all of c.1900. 2-storey rear extension to Elgar Road is of similar date.
Listing NGR: SU7147972646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings