This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.2338 / 55°14'1"N
Longitude: -2.5802 / 2°34'48"W
OS Eastings: 363195
OS Northings: 593446
OS Grid: NY631934
Mapcode National: GBR B7FX.5M
Mapcode Global: WH8ZN.BQK0
Entry Name: Kielder Castle
Listing Date: 7 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239684
Location: Kielder, Northumberland, NE48
Civil Parish: Kielder
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Falstone with Greystead and Thorneyburn
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 69 SW
20/24 Kielder Castle
Shooting box now used as cafe and visitors' centre. 1775 by William Newton
for the Duke of Northumberland and from a design of the Duke's own. Altered
mid C19 by the Alnwick Castle estate office and again in 1926. Ashlar with
Welsh slate roof. Earlier work in Gothick style. C19 parts in Tudor style.
A courtyard house. Mid-C19 irregular south front. To left a large castellated
3-storey section with canted oriel window and several paired lancets; projecting
from this an extension of 1926 in Gothick style. Recessed L-plan section to
right has C18 masonry, plinth and string course but C19 detail including round-
headed doorway and 2-light mullioned windows; gabled roof with kneelers.
Right return 5 bays. Left 2 bays in Tudor style. Right 3 bays have 6-pane
sashes under hoodmoulds on ground floor, 9-pane sashes with Tudor-arched heads
and intersecting glazing bars on first floor. Left return has similar detail
but irregular openings.
Rear five bays with central tall round-headed carriage arch under gable, two-
bay, single-storey linking ranges and two-storey, cross-gabled end bays with
Gothick windows. Centre and end bays were formerly castellated.
Interior has 2 staircases with stick balusters. Several 6-panel doors and
Diary of Charles Richardson, and records of payments to William Newton held
among Alnwick Castle records, establish Newton as the architect.
Listing NGR: NY6319593446
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.