History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Shotley Low Quarter, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8676 / 54°52'3"N

Longitude: -1.9024 / 1°54'8"W

OS Eastings: 406360

OS Northings: 552542

OS Grid: NZ063525

Mapcode National: GBR HD44.XW

Mapcode Global: WHB2V.RX89

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 18 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303009

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240611

Location: Shotley Low Quarter, Northumberland, DH8

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Shotley Low Quarter

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Shotley St John

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Shotley Bridge

Listing Text

SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER A691 (North Side)
NZ 05 SE (Snods Edge)

17/240 Church of St. John.

II

Parish Church, 1836 on new site, replacing St. Andrews, Greymare Hill
(q.v.); organ chamber mid-C19, chancel 1903. Squared stone with cut
dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Nave with south porch and
north-east organ chamber, chancel with 5-sided apse. Early C19 parts
in C13 style, chancel Free C13/C14 style. Chamfered plinth. Porch
has studded door in double-chamfered pointed arch with chamfered hood;
blind lancet over in steeply-pitched coped gable with moulded kneelers.
East of porch 3 lancets; 3 similar windows on north of nave and 2 in west
end. Coped gable with moulded kneelers. West bellcote on moulded corbels:
twin pointed openings under coped gablet. Organ chamber half-hipped to
north with lancet window and corbelled hip. Chancel has 2 early C19
lancets re-set on south, cinquefoil- headed lights to apse and stepped
sill string. Beneath central light, panel with ornate canopied niches,
to Walton-Wilson family. Wrought-iron ridge ornament and finial cross.

Interior: Plain chamfered arch to south door. Double-chamfered 4-centred
arch to organ chamber; richly-moulded chancel arch in C13 style.
Pilasters and string course to chancel; credence table and piscina with
shelf. Minton tiles, good early C20 glass in apse. Nave roof has collar-
beam trusses on moulded corbels. Early C19 creed and commandments boards.


Listing NGR: NZ0636052542

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.