History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bishop and Grundey Monuments, in the Churchyard, About 8 Metres South South East of East Corner of Former Central Tower, Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Dymock, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.9786 / 51°58'42"N

Longitude: -2.4374 / 2°26'14"W

OS Eastings: 370053

OS Northings: 231214

OS Grid: SO700312

Mapcode National: GBR FY.KJ0Q

Mapcode Global: VH866.PJTK

Entry Name: Bishop and Grundey Monuments, in the Churchyard, About 8 Metres South South East of East Corner of Former Central Tower, Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303047

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125923

Location: Dymock, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL18

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Dymock

Built-Up Area: Dymock

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Dymock St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SO 73 SW (north side)

5/105 Bishop and Grundey monuments, in
the churchyard, about 8m south-
south-east of east corner of former
central tower, Church of St. Mary


Pedestal tombs. Bishop, early C19, Grundey, died 1792. Stone.
Bishop monument square: small reeded circular dome on square base,
flat top, step, moulded edge. Framed, plain sides with slightly
raised corners, recessed rectangular panel, plain oval with low
relief leaves in spandrels. Moulded base. Two side panels eroded:
earliest legible date 1816. Grundey monument hexagonal. Circular
base for urn, missing at time of survey (1985): octagonal top,
scotia moulded base; flat top to main section, moulded edge,
reeded frieze with oval paterae at corners; sides alternately tall
oval with corner paterae and rectangle with scalloped corners.
Later inscriptions to 1839: long 's' used in one inscription.

Listing NGR: SO7005331214

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.