History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whitminster, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7798 / 51°46'47"N

Longitude: -2.3488 / 2°20'55"W

OS Eastings: 376030

OS Northings: 209069

OS Grid: SO760090

Mapcode National: GBR 0KP.6ZM

Mapcode Global: VH94P.7JMH

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Last Amended: 9 December 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303052

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132539

Location: Whitminster, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Whitminster

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Whitminster St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

WHITMINSTER WHEATENHURST
SO 70 NE
6/281 Church of St. Andrew
10.1.55
GV II*
Small Anglican church. Cll foundation, earliest work probably of
C14, altered and tower added late C15/early C16, north aisle added
1842, restored c1884-5 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Random coursed and
dressed stone, ashlar tower and part ashlar walls, stone slate roof
with coped east verges with saddlestones and cross finials. West
tower, nave with south porch and north aisle, chancel, with north
vestry of 1880s. Tower of 3 stages on moulded plinth with string
courses, diagonal stepped buttresses up to top of second stage,
embattled parapet with gargoyles and stair vice in north east
corner projecting higher as embattled turret. Two-light stone
louvred belfry lights on top stage with clock face to south; west
side has long 2-light Decorated window over stepped cavetto moulded
pointed archway with hoodmould. South porch probably of C15 with
small diagonal buttresses flanking moulded pointed archway with
sundial over, inner earlier doorway and door with fine original
decorative iron hinging, flanking stone wall seats with trefoil
squints to each side and stoup to right and Jacobean carved bosses
and mouldings to wagon roof. Two-light flanking windows on nave,
Perpendicular (with square hoodmould) to left and Decorated to
right. Chancel has similar flanking small 3-centred priest's door
with square hoodmould and initials PB in spandrels, probably for
Priory of Bruton. C19 east window is 3-light Perpendicular,
original now in north vestry. Three C19 Decorated 2-light on north
side.
Interior: 3-bay Decorated arcade of 1842. Ceilings panelled in
late C19 when chancel arch renewed. Round arched chamfered
entrance to rood stair probably of early C16 on south wall.
Several good wall monuments including 2 in north aisle to Lloyd
family (owners of Whitminster House, q.v., in C17) - Rebecca, 1625,
in marble with small kneeling effigy, and Nathaniel, late C17, in
painted stone. Jacobean pulpit. Remains of gilded reredos by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
(Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - the Vale and the Forest
of Dean, 1980; V.C.H., Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)


Listing NGR: SO7603009069

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.