History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lechlade Halfpenny Bridge tollhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Lechlade, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6925 / 51°41'32"N

Longitude: -1.6927 / 1°41'33"W

OS Eastings: 421338

OS Northings: 199346

OS Grid: SU213993

Mapcode National: GBR 4ST.YP0

Mapcode Global: VHC0B.MQ0F

Entry Name: Lechlade Halfpenny Bridge tollhouse

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303058

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129072

Location: Lechlade, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Lechlade

Built-Up Area: Lechlade-on-Thames

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Lechlade St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Lechlade

Listing Text

LECHLADE THAMES STREET
SU 2199
10/230 Lechlade Halfpenny Bridge
and Tollhouse (that part in
26.11.52 Cotswold District)

II

Roadbridge carrying Thames Street (A361) over River Thames and toll
house. 1792, when Thames Street laid out. Dressed stone. Bridge
about 6m wide with coped wall about lm high following considerable
arch of bridge and splaying out at each corner. Roadway from toll
house to centre district boundary line about 10m. Single large
semi-circular arch approximately 8m high at apex, with straight
large roll moulded string course over. Side piers each have blind
round oculus and very small semi-circular arches at base. Toll
house on north east corner, small square of 2 storeys with basement
and road-level room in coursed stone with asbestos slate pyramidal
roof and brick stack to east. Large roll moulded string course
between floors. Square window openings to south and north and door
to west straight on to bridge. Said to be named after the
halfpenny toll levied until 1839.


Listing NGR: SU2133199328

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.