History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Forge

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitminster, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7703 / 51°46'13"N

Longitude: -2.3249 / 2°19'29"W

OS Eastings: 377675

OS Northings: 208007

OS Grid: SO776080

Mapcode National: GBR 0KQ.T7J

Mapcode Global: VH94P.NR8R

Entry Name: The Old Forge

Listing Date: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132532

Location: Whitminster, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Whitminster

Built-Up Area: Whitminster

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Whitminster St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

WHITMINSTER A38, Whitminster
SO 70 NE
(east side)
6/274 The Old Forge
II
Inn. Possibly partly C15 on left side, enlarged to right and to
front in early C17. Mostly timber-framed with variable sized
panelling and painted brick infill, brick faced front wing with
gable end mostly rendered, double Roman tile roof with stone coped
verges and kneelers. Front wing has large stone lateral stack to
left with flue raised in brick. Later wing roughcast faced to rear
and right hand return. Originally probably small single range with
L-shape addition in 2 stages, set back slightly beyond rear wall
line and with rear hip, mostly 2 storeys. Scattered fenestration
mostly of C20 but with one early 4-light wood mullion and transom
to small gable on left of front wing and one blocked 3-light
diamond mullion and plain transom to far right. Front gable has
C20 windows with 2-brick string and small oval apex light. Left
hand side has porch in corner with raking roof continued from line
of gable wing, and with timber-frame containing representation of 2
swans in gable, and plank inner door. Known as The Swan Inn up to
1779. Said to have a sundial dated 1604.
Interior has chamfered beams and joists with compartmented ceiling
to front range. Very large timber bressumer to north end fireplace
(no stack).
(V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)


Listing NGR: SO7767508007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.