History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Pigeon House

A Grade II Listed Building in Southam, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9286 / 51°55'43"N

Longitude: -2.0447 / 2°2'41"W

OS Eastings: 397019

OS Northings: 225567

OS Grid: SO970255

Mapcode National: GBR 2LZ.5TH

Mapcode Global: VHB1J.HSWD

Entry Name: The Pigeon House

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303106

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135265

Location: Southam, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL52

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Southam

Built-Up Area: Southam

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Cleeve St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Southam

Listing Text

SO 92 NE SOUTHAM SOUTHAM LANE
(north side)

8/170 The Pigeon House

4.7.60

GV II

Former manor house possibly medieval, extended C16 and C18, altered
c1924 by T.E. Whitaker. Close-studded timber framing with
herringbone limestone block infill; random squared and dressed
limestone; stone slate roof with ashlar stack and C20 artificial
stone stack. Complex plan with an 'L'-shaped medieval range
probably original originally comprising a hall with a 2-storey
solar wing at its south end with further extension to the east;
rectangular C16 partly timber-framed range to the west of the
solar. Two-storeys and 2-storeys and attic. South-facing
elevation of timber-framed range with C20 central 16 storey porch
with a plank door with decorative studding within a 4-centred
arched surround with moulded hood with heraldic stops and
inscriptions 'A.D./ABOUT/1066' and 'Restored/1924/T.E.W', and
enriched spandrels; brattished decoration at top of portal; small
single-light window to the left; 3-light stone-mullioned casement
above; image niche with canopy towards the apex of the gable. The
return walls of the porch are linked to the main body via stone-
mullioned bow windows; similar bow window to rear with an early 7-
light flat-chamfered wood-mullioned window with transom to the
left. All stone-mullioned windows to the main body with leaded
panes and enriched spandrels. C20 three-light, 5-light and 7-light
C20 oriel windows-some with transoms and decorative leaded panes to
the north, south and west sides of the timber framed first floor.
Single 3-light C20 canted eaves dormer with decorative barge board
upper right. Earlier range set back to the right with a single-
light and 2-light stone-mullioned casement to the ground floor.
Four-light stone-mullioned casement with Tudor-arched headed lights
to the first floor. C20 part-glazed door under an open-fronted
lean-to to the left. C19 stone-mullioned casements some with
cusped heads to the other elevation. Small turret with
battlemented parapet with an early possibly reused pointed-arched
entrance, in the angle between the main body and the later
extension.
Interior: flagged entrance hall with large open fireplace with
bressumer and probably reused C17 panelling. Beams with triangular
stops. Tudor-arched stone fireplace within dating from 1924
alterations within the adjoining room. Open-fireplace with
bressumer beam within the adjoining range the eastern limb of which
is entered via a possibly reused pointed-arched entrance and
contains an early wooden spiral staircase with square-sectioned
treads and a niche with reused C12 jamb shaft with chevron
decoration and a piece of roll-moulded stonework. Roof to early
range with curving principals with yoke at the apex; single
purlins, wind bracing. Stained glass insets dating from early C20
alterations dated and initialled Reg Constance, Glazier 1924.
(V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol VIII, p10)


Listing NGR: SO9708625562

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.