This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1946 / 55°11'40"N
Longitude: -1.6504 / 1°39'1"W
OS Eastings: 422353
OS Northings: 588983
OS Grid: NZ223889
Mapcode National: GBR J8XC.HP
Mapcode Global: WHC2K.MP9L
Entry Name: The Hall
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238162
Location: Longhirst, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Longhirst
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Longhirst St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
LONGHIRST LONGHIRST HALL
NZ 2289 & NZ 2288
10/19 & 11/19 The Hall
Country house, 1824 by John Dobson for William Lawson. Ashlar; tooled-and-
margined sandstone in service wings; slate roofs. Square villa with lower
block and then pair of service wings to north. North-east link to conservatory.
Greek Revival style.
West entrance front 2 storeys, 3 bays, the central a projecting pedimented
portico with giant Corinthian columns, distyle in antis; modillions and anthemion
ornament. Two steps up into portico; at rear panelled double doors in architrave
under tall 3-pane overlight with cornice on carved consoles. Margined sash
window above with carved cornice; coffered stone ceiling. Flanking bays have
moulded plinth, Corinthian angle pilasters and tall margined sashes in architraves
carried down to the plinth; upper windows in shallower eared architraves; full
entablature as on porch. Hipped roof with 2 corniced transverse stacks on the
rear slope. Set back lower 5-bay left section with similar entablature and
projecting left bay; moulded plinth and sill bands, 12-pane sashes to ground
floor and margined sashes above, 15-pane in left bay in corniced architraves.
To far left service wing of 6 irregular bays.
South front has similar detail: 5 bays, the central a semicircular bow whose
lower windows have carved consoles. East front again similar, 5 bays. 3 steps
up to French window in bay 4. Lower 5-bay service block to right, with link to
conservatory at end.
Interior: spectacular ashlar-faced central hall, oblong with apsidal ends.
Imperial stair, opening under Ionic screen, has wrought-iron balustrade with
anthemion frieze, moulded and wreathed handrail. Balustrade continues around
landing balcony. Coffered vaults with carved spandrels, central glazed dome.
Library and dining room have rich plasterwork. Plain marble fireplace in
drawing-room; contemporary doors,panelled reveals.
The first of Dobson's great country houses.
'Longhirst Hall and Nunnykirk' Girouard. Country Life CXXXIX 352 et seq.
Listing NGR: NZ2235388983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings