History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pair of Hobbs Monuments, About 2 1/2 Metres South East of Gearing Monument in Churchyard of Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Lechlade-on-Thames, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6938 / 51°41'37"N

Longitude: -1.6905 / 1°41'25"W

OS Eastings: 421488

OS Northings: 199493

OS Grid: SU214994

Mapcode National: GBR 4ST.RF2

Mapcode Global: VHC0B.NP5D

Entry Name: Pair of Hobbs Monuments, About 2 1/2 Metres South East of Gearing Monument in Churchyard of Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303133

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129029

Location: Lechlade, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Lechlade

Built-Up Area: Lechlade-on-Thames

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Lechlade St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Lechlade

Listing Text

SU 2199 LECHLADE MARKET PLACE
(east side)

10/184 Pair of hobbs Monuments, about 2.5m
south-east of Gearing Monument in
churchyard of Church of St. Lawrence

GV II

Two chest tombs. To north, William Hobbs, died 1803 (?); to south,
Elizabeth Hobbs, died 1812 (?). Limestone. To north: flat top
with straight edges, moulded plinth. Cut-off corners. Plain ends
and sides with remains of low relief cartouche around inscription
on north side. Inscriptions mostly obliterated. Top has been
pieced, and has moved. To south: moulded plinth and capping on
tall base with plain frieze. Three-stepped tent top with curved
then straight edges. End panels have incised rectangular panel
with projecting semi-circular section at top. Fielded side panels
with flanking fluted strips.


Listing NGR: SU2148899493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.