History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pebworth, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1149 / 52°6'53"N

Longitude: -1.7943 / 1°47'39"W

OS Eastings: 414182

OS Northings: 246304

OS Grid: SP141463

Mapcode National: GBR 4MN.96J

Mapcode Global: VHB0W.V39K

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 30 July 1959

Last Amended: 27 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303222

English Heritage Legacy ID: 147633

Location: Pebworth, Wychavon, Worcestershire, CV37

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Pebworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Pebworth St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Long Marston

Listing Text

SP 14 NW PEBWORTH BROAD MARSTON
3/9

30.7.59 The Priory
(formerly listed as
Broad Marston Priory)

II*

Large house mainly C17 and C18 on earlier core. Cotswold stone and blue lias stone
with plain tiled roofs. Two principal ranges. West range mid C17, said to be 1654,
with earlier range attached at West end. This part is of blue lias with timber-
framing exposed in North gable and paired diagonal stacks on South end. Leaded
windows on North end, triple below and triple with top lights above. Modern 4-light
stone window on West side wall. Main part has Cotswold stone South front with coped
parapet and 2 shallow gables. Regular front of mullioned windows, three 3-light
windows under continuous dripmould to 1st floor and Tudor arched door between 2 pairs
of 2-light windows under continuous hoodmould to ground floor. Rear is rendered with
6 window range of leaded cross windows. Stone plinth and central rendered stack. C19
Cotswold stone gabled porch. A rear wing of 2-storeys projects; renewed leaded
windows and side wall stack. East range, 2 parallel roofs, South front forward of
adjoinig range. Cotswold stone, 2-storey and attic with ridge stack and coped East
gable. Three dormers. Three window range with evidence of left side being older, mid
C17, and the right early C18. Left side has stone cross-mullioned windows with drip-
moulds to ground, 1st floor and attic of West gable end; and 2 similar to ground and
1st floor of first bay of front. Wood cross-mullioned windows, 4-light and 3-light to
1st floor and 3-light casement to ground floor, all with dripmoulds and modern door,
to right side of South front. Rear range is blue lias stone, much altered with
2 blocked 2-light stone mullion 1st floor windows and blocked single mezzanine light.

Interior: panelled entrance hall with stone Tudor arched fireplace. Very large curved
arched inglenook in West end room. Exceptional C17 open well staircase with moulded
rail and newels with pyramid caps in South West corner of East range.

Site associated with Evesham Abbey.


Listing NGR: SP1418246304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.