History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Convent of St Clotilde

A Grade II Listed Building in Lechlade, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6982 / 51°41'53"N

Longitude: -1.6867 / 1°41'12"W

OS Eastings: 421748

OS Northings: 199987

OS Grid: SU217999

Mapcode National: GBR 5V5.DDL

Mapcode Global: VHC0B.QL50

Entry Name: Convent of St Clotilde

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303277

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128969

Location: Lechlade, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Lechlade

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Lechlade St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Lechlade

Listing Text

SU 29 NW LECHLADE A361
(off east side)

10/124 Convent of St. Clotilde

II

Formerly Lechlade Manor, a large country house, now part of a
convent school. 1872-3 by J.L. Pearson. Coursed and dressed stone
or ashlar on plinth, tile roof, scattered stone stacks with linked
ashlar flues. Jacobean style. Large squarish block, 3 storeys or
2 with attic. Main front to south has 3 Dutch gables, end 2
projecting forward with curved outline and canted 2-storey bays
with 6-light mullion and transoms, 2 transoms on ground floor.
Central smaller bay recessed with more pointed outline and 2-storey
bowed bay, also mullion and transoms. Mullion windows to each
gable. Sill band at ground floor and 2 string courses above, one
between each floor. Upper sections of windows all in decorative
leading. Similar fenestration to all facades. Rainwater heads all
with date 1873 and initials GM. Main entrance on north side with
projecting square porch tower of 3 storeys with iioat of arms and
strapwork at the top. Up 7 stone steps with decorative small base
piers and arcaded balustrade to open arcaded ground floor of porch
with pilasters and keystone. First floor mullion and transom bay
has arcaded apron in same style as balustrade of steps.
Interior virtually intact on ground floor with panelled library,
original stone fireplaces, mostly plain, several fine Jacobean-
style plaster ceilings, especially in drawing room (now partitioned
in 2), and fine wooden staircase with carved banisters. Upstairs
rooms have been mostly subdivided. Main house intact, with 2-
storey servants wing to north west. Many new buildings in complex
not of special interest.


Listing NGR: SU2174899987

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.