History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard Walls, Gate and War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Warkworth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3492 / 55°20'57"N

Longitude: -1.6127 / 1°36'45"W

OS Eastings: 424657

OS Northings: 606197

OS Grid: NU246061

Mapcode National: GBR K65L.N8

Mapcode Global: WHC1T.6T93

Entry Name: Churchyard Walls, Gate and War Memorial

Listing Date: 1 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303431

English Heritage Legacy ID: 237195

Location: Warkworth, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Warkworth

Built-Up Area: Warkworth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Warkworth

Listing Text

NU 2406 WARKWORTH DIAL PLACE
(North end)

21/304 Churchyard walls,
gate and War
Memorial
GV II

Churchyard walls, gate and war memorial. Wall probably mostly C18,
incorporating some earlier fabric; gates early C19; war memorial c.1920 by
M.H. Graham and H. Honeyman, moved to present site c.1960. Wall squared
stone; gates wrought iron; war memorial ashlar and bronze.

South wall 1.5 metres high with flat slab coping ramped up at either side of
gate near west end; square piers, with plinth and moulded pyramidal caps;
holding double gates with patterned half-rail, downswept top rail and spear-
topped bars. Incurved section of wall at south-west corner behind war
memorial: stepped base has added plaque with 1939-45 names below plaque with
names of 1914-18 war dead in keyed surround; frieze and top block, with bronze
roundel and laurel sprays, and cornice. West wall has small gate near centre,
also jambs of blocked gateway and two blocked arches further north. On north
of churchyard is 1.5-metre high retaining wall, battered in profile. East
wall has small gate near centre; north part incorporates end wall of former
tithe barn (converted into cottages c.1900) with 2 slit vents and outline of
original gable visible.

Included for group value.

Listing NGR: NU2465706197


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.