This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7683 / 51°46'5"N
Longitude: -1.8496 / 1°50'58"W
OS Eastings: 410477
OS Northings: 207741
OS Grid: SP104077
Mapcode National: GBR 3QJ.173
Mapcode Global: VHB2D.WTKB
Entry Name: Hinton House
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127295
Location: Bibury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Bibury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bibury with Winson
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
10/49 Hinton House
Large detached house incorporating former row of houses. Dated
1753; early and mid C19 additions. Random and coursed rubble
limestone, partly roughcast rendered; ashlar chimneys; stone
slate roof. Two-storey; attic to east wing. Accumulation results
in L-plan. East front: main range runs to right in 2 parts, left
with 2-window 16-pane sash fenestration. Two-window 16-pane sash
fenestration to upper floor of right part; ground floor tripartite
sash to right, doorway to left with fielded-panelled door, fanlight
and flat-roofed porch with panelled pilasters and 2 parapet-mounted
urns. South: left part of range has datestone 'S T / 1753' and 2-
window recessed chamfered mullioned fenestration, 3-light to ground
floor, single and 2-light to upper floor. Segmental arched ground
floor fenestration to right; 2 eaves-mounted gabled dormers with
16-pane sashes in rendered upper floor. Mixed ridge-mounted
chimneys with moulded caps. Single-storey outbuildings attached at
east end of range. West side: staggered rear wall of main range
built into bank against road. Two 16-pane sashes in gabled eaves-
mounted dormers. Various tall ashlar chimneys with moulded caps.
Gable end of south-facing range to right with octagonal chimney.
Interior not inspected. Probably built for Samuel Tawney and
enlarged in early C19 by William Hinton.
(A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp 121-44)
Listing NGR: SP1047707741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings