History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Glebe House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bibury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7588 / 51°45'31"N

Longitude: -1.8321 / 1°49'55"W

OS Eastings: 411687

OS Northings: 206695

OS Grid: SP116066

Mapcode National: GBR 3QJ.RM7

Mapcode Global: VHB2M.6290

Entry Name: The Glebe House

Listing Date: 5 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 127276

Location: Bibury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Bibury

Built-Up Area: Arlington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bibury with Winson

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Bibury

Listing Text

BIBURY A433, Bibury Village
SP 1006-1106
(north side)
11/30 The Glebe House
II
Large detached former vicarage, now house. c1844; later C19
additions. Ashlar limestone; ashlar chimneys; Welsh slate roof.
Two-storey, L-plan; long 2-storey wing on west side with 2-storey
terminal block. Tudor Gothic style. East front: symmetrical with
3-window fenestration, outer in form of 2-storey rectangular
mullioned and transomed bay windows with Tudor arched lights, set
below 2 gables with octagonal finials. Central projecting 2-storey
porch with moulded Tudor archway having hoodmould; mullioned and
transomed casement above. Continuous moulded bands. Carved
quatrefoil panel with shield motif to each gable. South side: 3-
window fenestration, all mullioned and transomed with Tudor arched
lights. Two-storey rectangular bay window to left with gable
above. West side: gable end to right with mullioned and transomed
fenestration; similar stair window below gable to recessed centre.
Left gable has cluster of 3 octagonal moulded chimney shafts; long
wing attached below with 2-light mullioned casements. Two-light
mullioned casements to terminal block and 3 octagonal chimney
shafts to south parapet gabled end.
Interior: stone cantilevered open well staircase in stair hall.
Moulded 4-centred archway divides stair from outer hall. This
large vicarage, probably built by Lord Sherborne, may have been
designed by Anthony Salvin who had been carrying out work at
Sherborne Park since 1841. There are stylistic similarities with
Scotney Castle in Kent, also by Salvin.
(A.R. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos, vii, 1981, pp 21-44)


Listing NGR: SP1168506696

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.