This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8467 / 50°50'48"N
Longitude: -2.6524 / 2°39'8"W
OS Eastings: 354166
OS Northings: 105447
OS Grid: ST541054
Mapcode National: GBR MN.VV4Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 56BV.NJ6
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105883
Location: West Chelborough, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: West Chelborough
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: West Chelborough St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 50 NW
Parish Church of
Parish Church. Chancel and nave rebuilt C15, when nave extended to west.
South tower added in 1638. Restored in early C19, and in 1894 when north
vestry added. Rubble-stone walls and dressings. Stone slate roofs with
stone gable-copings and crosses at apices. Chancel: 3-light east window
with roundel in head, C19. North and south walls have 2-light windows with
quatrefoil in head under pointed arches. Nave: north wall, early C15 window
of two trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded
reveals. South wall has a C15 window, altered in the C17, of two pointed
lights with tracery in a 2-centred head. C15 south doorway has chamfered
jambs and rebuilt pointed head. South tower, of 2 stages with a plain parapet
and pinnacles. Ground stage forms a porch and has a doorway with ovolo and
hollow-chamfered jambs and an elliptical head. Bell chamber has one loop
light in the south wall, and two in the west wall. Panel on south parapet
with inscription: "William Lardar Esq. Thomas Horsford Warden 1638."
Interior: pointed chancel-arch with moulded jambs, C15. C19 roofs, arch-
braced with high collars. Fittings: Font, stone tapering cylindrical bowl
with 5 bands of ornaments conventional leaves, cable, diaper, zigzag, small
dog-tooth, mid C12. Wall-monument, freestone recess and effigy, round-arched
with enriched mouldings and strapwork soffit, spandrels with shields-of-arms,
cornice with damaged female figures. Effigy of woman in bed with infant at
her side. To a member of the Kymer family, early C17. Wall monument of 1716.
Communion rails, C18.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.91(1))
Listing NGR: ST5416605447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings