This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3212 / 55°19'16"N
Longitude: -1.5623 / 1°33'44"W
OS Eastings: 427873
OS Northings: 603106
OS Grid: NU278031
Mapcode National: GBR K6JX.K9
Mapcode Global: WHC20.ZJ60
Entry Name: Hauxley Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303591
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236805
Location: Hauxley, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Hauxley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Amble
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
HAUXLEY HIGH HAUXLEY
8/136 Hauxley Hall
House, now subdivided. North part dated 1724, with major late C18 extension
giving new front facing east. Squared stone, tooled on south and east fronts;
Welsh slate roofs with pantiles to upper slopes on north and west; old brick
stacks. Roughly square plan with L-plan kitchen wing on west. South front
in Gothick style.
North elevation 3 storeys, 5 bays. Three right bays are early C18 house with
central part-glazed 4-panel door in moulded surround under lintel panel with
relief inscription M K (Matthew Kirton) 1724; paired 8-pane sashes to ground
floor, paired 8-pane casements to 1st floor and paired 4-pane sashes to 2nd
floor; windows to lower floors in moulded surrounds. Left bays are late C18
addition in same style-but with blind windows; trompe l'oeil 2nd floor left.
Steeply-pitched hipped roof with stacks on and at right end of ridge. Single-
storey 2-bay kitchen wing to right with renewed paired 8-pane sashes in C19
moulded surround and blocked window; 2-bay right return shows paired 12-pane
sashes under keyed lintels and large square ridge stack.
East elevation 2 storeys, 7 bays, symmetrical. Ground floor sill and 1st
floor bands. Central part-glazed 6-panel door under wooden swell frieze and
dentil cornice; 12-pane sash windows. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks.
South elevation 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical. Bands as on east. Central
blind doorway under 4-pane sash window with Gothick head in 4-centred arch.
Flanking 2-storey bows with 3 similar windows to each floor, the lower with
moulded imposts and arches; raised parapets.
All stacks have double-banded tops.
Interior: South part has Entrance Hall, originally full-height of
house, with inserted 3-bay screen of round piers carrying moulded round
arches in front of spiral stair; curved treads and moulded ramped handrail on
wrought-iron twist balusters. Fielded-panel doors with swell friezes and
dentil cornices. Dining Room has Gothick decoration with plaster wall panels
and arcaded cornice, doors in ogee-arched surrounds and carved stone fireplace.
Sitting Room has similar cornice and richly-carved stone fireplace. South-
east bedroom has Gothick doors with beaded panelling, cornice with flower
ornament and carved stone fireplace; south-west bedroom has similar doors and
North part: Fielded-panel doors and shutters throughout. Dog-leg closed
string stair with urn-on-vase balusters, panelled square newels and broad
moulded handrail. Bedrooms have old cupboards with H-hinges. Former kitchen
has segmental-arched recesses and blocked fireplace.
Historical notes: The Kirton family are first recorded as holding lands in
Hauxley in the early C17; their estate was purchased by the Widdringtons in
1762. John Widdrington who held the estate 1783-1797 was probably responsible
for the remodelling of the Hall.
Listing NGR: NU2787303106
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings