History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dutton's Alsmshouses and Attached Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Northleach with Eastington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8283 / 51°49'41"N

Longitude: -1.8327 / 1°49'57"W

OS Eastings: 411628

OS Northings: 214422

OS Grid: SP116144

Mapcode National: GBR 3PR.CH1

Mapcode Global: VHB27.690R

Entry Name: Dutton's Alsmshouses and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Last Amended: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130510

Location: Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Northleach with Eastington

Built-Up Area: Northleach

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Northleach St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Northleach

Listing Text

NORTHLEACH WITH EAST END
SP 1114
EASTINGTON (south side), Northleach
8/73
Nos 1-4 Dutton's Almshouses and
attached wall (formerly listed as
23.1.52 Almshouses)
GV
II

Almshouses built under the Will of Thomas Dutton of Turkdean in
1616. Initialled 'T.D.' on the spandrels of the central doorway.
Coursed squared and dressed limestone, stone slate roof, ashlar
stacks. Long rectangular plan. 1 1/2 storeys, 6-gabled facade. All
2-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned casements with leaded
panes. Stopped hoods over windows lighting gables. Three double
C19 plank doors all within moulded Tudor-arched surrounds with
stopped hoods. Central doorway has central spandrels containing
small shields with the initials 'T.D.' and foliate decoration.
Five Tudor-arched doorways at rear with hipped stone slate
canopies. Double-chamfered stone-mullioned casements to ground
floor,six C20 flat-roofed dormers to upper floor. Three paired
axial stacks with skirtings and moulded cappings. Saddleback
coping to gables and along roof axis, moulded kneelers, pointed
finials at gable apexes. Wall parallel to almshouses. Coursed
squared and dressed limestone. Wall clm in height where parallel
to road, c2.25 at left-hand return. Single gate in line with
centre of facade with square piers with pyramidal cappings.
Steeply pitched coping with roll-moulding to wall. Interiors not
inspected.
(Trans. B.G.A.S. 1907 p 7)


Listing NGR: SP1163514421

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.