This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9877 / 54°59'15"N
Longitude: -1.8042 / 1°48'15"W
OS Eastings: 412626
OS Northings: 565922
OS Grid: NZ126659
Mapcode National: GBR HBVR.6T
Mapcode Global: WHC3G.8W3P
Entry Name: Stable Block and Attached Wall Approx 60 Yards North-West of Close House
Listing Date: 28 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303648
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238617
Location: Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland, NE15
Civil Parish: Heddon-on-the-Wall
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Heddon-on-the-Wall St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
HEDDON-ON-THE-WALL CLOSE HOUSE
NZ 16 NW
Stable block and
attached wall approx 60
28.4.69 yards north-west
of Close House
Stable block. Early C18 and 1779. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Partly
rebuilt in old brick to rear. Three ranges round courtyard with low wall and
gateway closing south side. 2 storeys. Older 6-bay rear range with chamfered
plinth and rusticated quoins. Doorways with 'Gibbs' surrounds in 2nd and 5th
bays. 4-pane windows in raised surrounds. Wall clock in centre of range.
Symmetrical and identical side ranges. Flat-topped plinth and no quoins.
6 bays with 2 segmental-arched carriage doors in centre bays; oeil-de-boeuf
windows above junction of arches, flanked by cruciform slits. Outer bays have
doors and windows in raised surrounds.
Hipped roofs; louvred bell turret in centre of rear range.
On south side of yard low ashlar wall, with flat coping, broken in centre by
gateway with square rusticated piers.
Listing NGR: NZ1262665922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings