History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton-by-the-Sea, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5212 / 55°31'16"N

Longitude: -1.6281 / 1°37'41"W

OS Eastings: 423580

OS Northings: 625337

OS Grid: NU235253

Mapcode National: GBR K42L.BM

Mapcode Global: WHC10.YHW6

Entry Name: Newton House

Listing Date: 1 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303795

English Heritage Legacy ID: 237075

Location: Newton-by-the-Sea, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Newton-by-the-Sea

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Embleton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newton by the Sea

Listing Text

NU 22 NW NEWTON-Y-THE-SEA HIGH NEWTON-BY-THE-SEA

1/184 Newton House
10.1.53

GV II

House, C18 enlarged and remodelled c.1800; porch late C19. Front block
squared stone; wing rubble, largely rendered; porch ashlar. Welsh slate roof
with stacks rebuilt in brick on old bases. L-plan.

Front elevation 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, 1st floor band.
Central flat-roofed porch has rounded corners with channeled rustication
flanked by pilasters; moulded cornice and blocking course. 6-panel door under
plain fanlight in moulded round arch with keystone, on left return; arched
window with plain sash in front. 4-pane sash windows with slightly-projecting
sills. Moulded eaves cornice. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks. 2-bay
returns show similar fenestration. Right return shows join between C18 and
c.1800 fabric between bays; set back to right is a 3-bay rear wing with small-
paned sashes and, at left end, gabled porch holding flush-panelled door with
plain overlight; hip-ended roof with one ridge stack.

Interior: Two fireplaces have elaborate plasterwork said to be by Napoleonic
prisoners of war; that in drawing room has seashells with female figure with
anchor, that in sitting room has triple-spired cathedral, hounds and birds.
Hall has harebell cornice and ceiling rose. Stone dog-leg stair with stick
balusters and moulded wreathed handrail. Other rooms have cornices and doors
of 6 panels with beaded surrounds.

Listing NGR: NU2358025337

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.