This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0231 / 52°1'23"N
Longitude: -2.1563 / 2°9'22"W
OS Eastings: 389373
OS Northings: 236084
OS Grid: SO893360
Mapcode National: GBR 1JC.1PK
Mapcode Global: VH93M.KDXY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303825
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134595
Location: Twyning, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Twyning
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Twyning St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8936 TWYNING TWYNING VILLAGE
13/187 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Anglican parish church. C12, C15.Perpendicular extensively restored
and the chancel rebuilt 1867-8 by John Middleton. Nave; limestone
and sandstone rubble. Chancel and vestry, random limestone and
sandstone. Tower; coursed squared and dressed limestone. Red
tile roof. Nave with projecting north porch. Chancel with vestry
at right angles on the north. West tower. Nave north wall; C12
pilaster buttresses in dressed limestone and sandstone. Two
pilasters to the left of the projecting porch have alternating
bands of limestone and green sandstone towards their bases.
Pilaster buttress at the west end incorporates a sandstone column
at the north west corner. One C12 round-headed window with lintel
with diaper decoration to the left of the porch. Remains of 2
other similar windows (now blocked). One with diaper and rosette
decoration, one with a single stone lintel with carved foliate
decoration. A small rectangular memorial tablet lies below the
former window, which together with several scattered stone
fragments with diaper decoration and a small carved head suggests
parts of this wall may be rebuilt. Five large C19 round-headed
windows, one between each pilaster. C19 double doors with
decorative hinges (now obscured by the C19 porch) with a C12 round-
headed surround with a plain tympanum set within a round arch with
a heavy roll moulding. Pilasters either side of door containing
simple niches (probably not original). Engaged columns either side
of each pilaster. Remains of a stoup within the left-hand
pilaster. South wall is similar to the north wall. Traces of a
blocked doorway towards the east end. C19 round-headed windows as
in the north wall. C19 chancel and vestry with diagonal and side
buttresses. C19 five-light east window with roll-moulded tracery.
Perpendicular 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Three-light
Perpendicular window with tracery on the west with a hood with head
stops. Two-light belfry windows with wooden louvres and
quatrefoils. Restored battlemented parapet with projecting
gargoyles. Stair turret with external access at the south east
corner. Early studded plank door set back within the north wall.
Projecting north porch with double doors within a round-headed
entrance flanked by two engaged columns. Flat and stepped gable
end coping with upright cross finials (some now broken off). Ridge
tiling with upright pierced decoration.
Church interior; plastered. Eight-bay nave. Five-bay chancel.
C13 pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on C12 engaged columns
with cushion capitals. Outer columns restored, inner columns built
of alternative green sandstone and limestone blocks. Double-
chamfered arch from nave to tower base. C19 crown post roof
trusses to the nave with moulded tie beams and curving collar beams and a collar
purlin. Moulded purlin with three tiers of windbraces: Wallplate with brattishing
and pierced decoration. Four arch-braced roof trusses to the chancel. Stone corbels
with foliate decoration. Brattished wallplate with pierced decoration above the
arched bracing. Stone flag floor to the nave. Tile floor including some decorative
encaustic tiling to the chancel. Furniture and fittings; C15 octagonal limestone pul-
pit inside the north door. C19 limestone and marble pulpit with recessed carved
scene. C19 pews. Monuments: south wall of the chancel monument to Clare Sybil, died
1575. Recumbent effigy of a Lady with an Infant, in alabaster with black marble
pillars with Ionic capitals supporting a classical pediment. Rectangular brass
inscription above the effigy. Four white on black marble monuments within the
chancel. Tower base; large monument to William Hancock, died 1676 and his two sons,
comprising three half-length effigies with a broken triangular pediment supported by
barley-twist balusters. Pulvinated frieze with a scene painted with sailing ships
below. Three oval inscription plaques below. Two C17-early C18 monuments and four
C19 marble monuments and a C19 benefaction board on the wall opposite. The belfry
contains a wooden bell-frame of c1450-75. C19 stained glass in the chancel east
window. Two C19 windows in the nave north and south walls.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Vale and the Forest of Dean; 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8937336084
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings