History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ferndown Town, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7888 / 50°47'19"N

Longitude: -1.9231 / 1°55'23"W

OS Eastings: 405518

OS Northings: 98805

OS Grid: SZ055988

Mapcode National: GBR 437.DN5

Mapcode Global: FRA 67V0.BM4

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 18 March 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1303912

English Heritage Legacy ID: 107650

Location: Ferndown Town, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

Civil Parish: Ferndown Town

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Hampreston and Stapehill All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hampreston

Listing Text

HAMPRESTON
SZ 09 NE CHURCH ROAD
(East)
12/24 Church of All Saints
18.3.55
II*
Parish church. Of Norman origin, C14 chancel and Tower, vestry 1823,
restoration of 1896 with addition of north aisle, north porch and organ
chamber. Walls of ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Tile roof. Nave
of three bays with north aisle, chancel with organ chamber and vestry, west
tower. The chancel has three bays with coupled traceried windows (one on
each side masked by the later additions), and a 3-light east window with
reticulate tracery. The windows of the aisle are of similar form and those
of the nave of Perpendicular-style. The tower, of two stages, has a plinth,
string course, thin diagonal stepped buttresses and embattled parapet, the
access stairway being at the north east corner. The east end of the nave,
south side, has a projecting rood stair. The interior has a series of old
features; a C12/13 font, C18 communion rails, and C16 oak benches in the
choir. There are several wall monuments of the C18 and early C19 and one of
1630, havinga bust set within aclassical framework of a Corinthian Order.
The west wall of the nave has a hatchment and a Royal Coat of Arms of George
II 1754; within the tower are two bequest boards, of 1857. RCHM


Listing NGR: SZ0551898805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.