This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6368 / 51°38'12"N
Longitude: -2.1594 / 2°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 389062
OS Northings: 193118
OS Grid: ST890931
Mapcode National: GBR 1P0.6W3
Mapcode Global: VH95K.J472
Entry Name: Market House
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Last Amended: 21 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128562
Location: Tetbury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Tetbury
Built-Up Area: Tetbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 8893-8993 TETBURY MARKET PLACE
7/287 Market House
6.9.54 (formerly listed as Town Hall)
Market House. 1655, altered in 1740 and 1817. Timber-framed.
Faced in roughcast to all sides except north which is in coursed
and dressed stone with some snecking, hipped Cotswold stone slate
roof with projecting eaves modillion cornice in wood in 2 ranges
with gables in centre to north, west and south. The whole
supported on 3 rows of open Tuscan arcades of stone with bases,
forming a rectangle 2 bays deep by 7 bays long, with additional
filled-in bay to south. East side originally had additional floor
and row of windows. North side retains original appearance with 2
large round arches with chamfered voussoirs and enlarged keystones
with moulded impost course. Tapering pilasters on bases and
plinths at sides and between with moulded cornice breaking forward
for "capitals". Blind oval panel in north gable. Buttresses to
outside walls at north end and attached Tuscan columns on inner
face of arches. West side has clock face in gable and copper
roofed cupola with bell and weathervane with dolphins. Floor over
arcades has seven 3-light cambered head lattice Lights with wooden
square hoodmoulds, with door above centre of arcade in same style.
South end bay was filled in in 1817 to accommodate town fire
engine. It has large central double doors on 1st floor with 10
stone steps up, and large moulded lintel with keystone and square
hoodmould and moulded jambs. Similar smaller doorways flanking
steps on ground flor, all with studded boarded doors, with 2-light
stone mullion blind windows over. Gable to south also has clock
face. Windows to east altered, some as west side.
Interior: Main room of 5 bays with central row of large wooden
columns on carved bases with debased Ionic columns, large plain
impost blocks and carved side bracing. Strut bracing to sides is
chamfered. (VCH, Gloucestershire Vol X1, 1976).
Listing NGR: ST8906293118
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings