This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.2275 / 55°13'39"N
Longitude: -1.6766 / 1°40'35"W
OS Eastings: 420669
OS Northings: 592636
OS Grid: NZ206926
Mapcode National: GBR J7QZ.TW
Mapcode Global: WHC2C.6VWW
Entry Name: Tritlington Old Hall
Listing Date: 30 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303974
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238401
Location: Tritlington and West Chevington, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Tritlington and West Chevingto
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Hebron St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
16/246 Tritlington Old Hall
House; medieval tower enlarged 1595, probably by Martin Ogle. Remodelled 1723
by Deodatus Threlkeld, alterations 1900 and c.1980. Stone with dressings, Welsh
slate roof. L-plan with stone spiral stair in extruded turret to rear. Entrance
front 3 irregular bays. Left bay is south wall of medieval tower, now 1 1/2 storeys
with blocked ground-floor window and attic sash under gable of c.1900 capped by
stepped and corniced stack. To right south wall of 1595 block refaced 1723,
2 storeys. 4-panel door with 2-pane overlight in stop-chamfered surround of 1900
and renewed 16-pane sash in raised stone surround. 1st floor 2 renewed 12-pane
sashes in flush stone surrounds with narrow chamfer, and slightly projecting sills.
Right end gable coped with kneelers and renewed stack. On right return former
door, now window, in raised and chamfered stone surround. Left return 2 storeys,
2 bays, largely refaced 1923, with plain sash windows of 1900, central small
blocked ground-floor window. Rear elevation shows stair-turret partly corbelled-
out, with 2 small chamfered-surround windows and weathering of roof of destroyed
north range. Both turret and tower at right now have gables of 1900, with sash
windows. To left a 3-bay outshut of 1900 heightened c.1980. Old lintel from wall
behind re-set at 1st floor level, inscribed MOA (Martin Ogle aedificat?) 1595 IF.
Interior: doorway with chamfered surround at foot of newel stair, blocked doorway,
with chamfered surround and relieving arch above, from stair to sitting room.
Cellar beneath kitchen has brick barrel vault; bedroom above sitting room has
panelled wall with fireplace surround, both probably of 1723.
Deodatus Threlkeld, the Newcastle watchmaker, is described as having 'built' the
house, moving into residence in 1723.
R. Bibby 'Tritlington Old Hall' Northumbriana 7,8 & 9 (1976/77)
Listing NGR: NZ2066992636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings