History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hawling, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9048 / 51°54'17"N

Longitude: -1.91 / 1°54'36"W

OS Eastings: 406285

OS Northings: 222916

OS Grid: SP062229

Mapcode National: GBR 3NP.HX9

Mapcode Global: VHB1S.VD35

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1304094

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134811

Location: Hawling, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Hawling

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hawling St Edward

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hawling

Listing Text

HAWLING HAWLING VILLAGE
SP 02 SE
9/30 Manor House
4.7.60
GV II
Manor House. C16, C17, mid C18, 1835 (datestone), altered C20.
Coursed, squared stone, main part, ashlar to C18 wing, stone slate
roof. 'E' plan, 4-window centre, 5-window right wing, left wing
same length, off-centre wing to rear, all one room deep, 2 1/2
storeys. Entrance front: left wing, gable, 4-light mullion and
transom window ground floor, 3-light mullion above, with hoodmould,
2-light mullion in gable, datestone over; parapet gable with
cross-gablet apex. Right return, plinth, 4-light mullioned window
with 2-light window each side; above three 2-light windows, all
with hoodmoulds; decorative lead box gutter on wrought-iron
brackets. Main wing, 2-storey porch off centre to left: 4-
centred arch to doorway, sunk spandrels, hoodmould: string course
over. Either side, plinth, 4-light mullion and transom window,
hoodmould. Above, 3-light mullion window to porch, square plaque
above, both with hoodmoulds, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex.
Either side 4-light mullion window, with hoodmould: single-light
in corner on right. Lead box gutter over, 4 gabled dormers, each
with 2-light casement. Ridge chimney on line of right return left
wing, 2 diagonally-set flues. Two chimneys from rear of block.
On right C18 wing; left return, plinth, central doorway, 'L'
hinges, fanlight, moulded surround, open stone pediment on
consoles. Either side 2 sash windows, moulded surround, cambered
head, keystone, rising to short moulded string over each window.
First floor, 5 windows as below but with string; moulded stone
eaves, lead gutter. Chimney on ridge at junction with main wing,
2 diagonally-set flues. Gable end, plinth, one window per floor
as ground floor, left return; elliptical window in gable with
moulded surround and 3 keystones. Parapet gable: chimney on
right return.
Interior: upper floors not inspected. C20 panelling to entrance
and stair hall, Jacobean-style doors, also fireplace to stair hall
at rear. Dogleg stairs, panelled, square newels, ball finials,
moulded handrail, ramped to newels, spiral balusters (all early C20
or reset). To right of entrance 5-bay room, exposed beam and
ceiling joists, originally 2 rooms; panelling as entrance. C18
wing, 6-panel doors; moulded plaster cornice to first room, eared
fireplace surround with pulvinated frieze. Central dogleg stairs,
marquetry strip on nosings, 3 turned balusters per tread, ramped,
moulded handrail, square newels, dado panelling. End room fielded
panelling, eared fireplace surround, decoration leaf carving over,
eared overmantel: moulded plaster cornice. Cellar below end room
only. Whole of right wing first half C18, probably circa 1740 as
oval windows match stables (q.v.). Left wing built to contain
kitchen, 1835; at least gable windows all date from after 1911,
when there was a boarded door to first floor with flight of stone
steps: Windows on 3 floors either side of porch altered at same
time to make facade symmetrical.
(Photograph at N.M.R.; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds,
1970).


Listing NGR: SP0628522916

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.