This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6553 / 50°39'18"N
Longitude: -2.3674 / 2°22'2"W
OS Eastings: 374122
OS Northings: 84017
OS Grid: SY741840
Mapcode National: GBR 106.VNY
Mapcode Global: FRA 57XB.RJB
Entry Name: Poxwell House
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105949
Location: Poxwell, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Poxwell
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Osmington with Poxwell St Osmond
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 78 SW POXWELL -
9/58 Poxwell House
Manor House in grounds. c.1600 east block with a north cross wing
probable H plan intended by south cross wing never built. Early C17
addition in the angle at rear of house, and north cross wing extended
to the west. C19 rebuilding in north west wing. 1934 house thoroughly
restored and new roofs built, west wing extended further west.
South wall of the main range has rebuilt. Portland ashlar and
coursed rubble walls. Clay tile roofs with stone slates at eaves. C20
rebuilt stone stacks at south gable, at ridge right of centre,
two on rear eaves, two on north gable ends, and on each of the
north elevation gables. New symmetrical east elevation. Two storeys
and attics. 5 windows and 6 to projecting Parlour range at north end.
Consistent 4 light mullion-and-transom windows, C20 metal casements
with lead lights throughout. Gabled 1½ storey porch at centre, with
stone copings and apex finial. Stone niches, shell headed either side
of a round headed entrance archway with jewelled imposts and keystone.
Niches are repeated inside the porch, one of these is scratched '1618
R.M.'. Inner doorway, similar though with rusticated semi circular
head. Plank and studded door, C17. The west elevation of main block,
has moulded plinth and string. The doorway on alignment with front
porch has moulded jambs and depressed four centred head. To the south
two small C20 windows replace a former 4 light window. The added
projection against the north cross wing is gabled to the west and has
original mullioned windows, restored. The north elevation is of
ashlar with moulded plinth and strings, and is carried up to four gables.
Windows not symmetrically arranged, most are mullion-and-transomed, restored
C20. At the west end of original block is a doorway with scratched I.S.
1626. Western extension of the north wing has walls of coursed rubble,
with heavily restored and C20 windows of one, two and three lights.
Interior: great hall fireplace, C17, stone with flanking engaged coupled
corinthian columns carrying enriched entablature and pediment enclosing chenios
head. Side figures. (plate 150, RCHM). Walls have compartmented C17
panelling from elsewhere. Screens passage south of the hall has in the
south wall two stone doorways with moulded jambs and depressed 3 centred
heads. Parlour and Boudoir have C17 fireplaces with four centred heads. The
dining room has a very wide open fireplace, with 3 centred head and an
oven in the east abutment. Walls lined with C17 panelling. (R.C.H.M.
Dorset II, p. 260 (3)).
Listing NGR: SY7412284017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings