This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1377 / 55°8'15"N
Longitude: -1.8565 / 1°51'23"W
OS Eastings: 409247
OS Northings: 582602
OS Grid: NZ092826
Mapcode National: GBR H9G1.W2
Mapcode Global: WHC2V.G456
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 28 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238536
Location: Belsay, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Belsay
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bolam St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 08 SE
4/50 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. Late Saxon tower and nave west wall with quoins. C12, C13 and
C14 with some C18 windows. Squared stone,with stone slate, Welsh slate and
West tower, nave and south aisle, south porch, north vestry, south chapel and
Tower: ground floor has C18 lancets on south and west sides, with heads of
original windows above (cf. interior). Small original windows on 1st floor
and 2-light openings with baluster mullions on second floor. C12 window above
and renewed parapet.
3-bay nave has porch and lancets renewed in C18 on south side; on north side
the vestry, a 2-light C16 window, with segmental heads to lights, and a large
Victorian Geometric window.
South chapel has one south window with Y-tracery, a C12 east window and a C14
Chancel has Y-tracery window on south side and on north side one similar window
and one pair of lancets.
Interior: deeply-splayed heads of Saxon ground-floor windows in the tower.
Tower arch, perhaps C12, unmoulded arch with plain responds, the east side
apparently carved in situ,with colonettes and foliage capitals, slightly later.
Circa 1200 south arcade with quatrefoil keeled piers and stepped round arches.
Chancel arch has round triple responds with cushion capitals carved on north
side with faces at the corners; the arch has 2 rolls and an outer billet
moulding. In chancel the responds of the former apse arch, removed when chancel
was lengthened in C13, are round with cushion capitals. Above them, reset in
the wall, the former voussoirs with saltire crosses. C14 sedilia, with octagonal
shafts, and C14 piscina. South chapel has trefoiled niche and on the north wall
a low-relief carving of shield and inscription. Early C13 south door has
colonettes and 2 rows of dogtooth.
Monuments: C14 effigy of a knight in south chapel, perhaps Robert de Reynes of
Shortflatt; in the chancel John Horsley, 1770, a standing monument with vermiculate
rusticated base and swan-neck pediment holding coat of arms. Three medieval
grave covers in south chapel; fragments of others built into south porch, also
a fragment of a hogback.
Octagonal medieval font.
The Church of St. Andrew, Bolam: G.W.D. Briggs: Archaeolgia Aeliana 5th
Series Vol. X.
Anglo-Saxon Architecture: H.M. and J. Taylor: Cambridge 1965.
Listing NGR: NZ0924482601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings