History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Henry Aisgil Monument in the Churchyard of the Church of St Mary Circa 4.5 Metres East of Chancel

A Grade II Listed Building in Down Hatherley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9007 / 51°54'2"N

Longitude: -2.1938 / 2°11'37"W

OS Eastings: 386764

OS Northings: 222478

OS Grid: SO867224

Mapcode National: GBR 1KN.XW6

Mapcode Global: VH945.XHL8

Entry Name: Henry Aisgil Monument in the Churchyard of the Church of St Mary Circa 4.5 Metres East of Chancel

Listing Date: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1304217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134143

Location: Down Hatherley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Down Hatherley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Down Hatherley St Mary and Corpus Christi

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Maisemore

Listing Text

SO 82 SE DOWN HATHERLEY DOWN HATHERLEY VILLAGE

6/23 Henry Aisgil monument in the
churchyard of the Church of
St. Mary c4.5m east of chancel

GV II


Chest tomb top Henry Aisgil, dated 1622. Limestone. Sides divided
into 3 panels. Raised inscription plaque on central panels with
inscriptions, inscription on south side; HIC / IACIT SEPULTUS
VENERABILIS / VIR HENRICUS AISGIL ECCLESIA CATHE / DRALIS
MENEVENSIS CHANCELLARIUS / GLOUCESTERIENSIS PREBENDARIUS NEC / NON
HUIUS PAROCHII VICARIUS / QUI OBIIT IN DOMINO / ANNO DONI
1622 / raised scrollwork margin. Panels either side decorated with
raised heraldic shields each within a blind round-headed arch with
imposts, fluted pilasters either side. Inscription on north also
in Latin but in smaller, almost illegible lettering, otherwise as
on south. Small projecting pedestals at either end, projecting
from sunken mushroom shaped panels. Pedestals perhaps formerly
supported carved skulls. Capping with moulded margin.


Listing NGR: SO8676422478

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.