History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage and Flank Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7853 / 51°47'7"N

Longitude: -2.1938 / 2°11'37"W

OS Eastings: 386724

OS Northings: 209649

OS Grid: SO867096

Mapcode National: GBR 1M6.44J

Mapcode Global: VH94R.XDK6

Entry Name: The Vicarage and Flank Wall

Listing Date: 21 October 1955

Last Amended: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1304239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133465

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Built-Up Area: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Painswick

Listing Text

PAINSWICK ST MARY'S STREET
SO 8609/8709 (part)
(south east side)
8/277 The Vicarage and flank
wall
21.10.55 (formerly listed as
Loveday's House)
GV II
Also known as Loveday's House. Vicarage, early C18. Limestone ashlar, stone
slate roof. A fine clothier's house with hipped roof, V-joint quoins, plinth
and modillion cornice; end stone stacks with rich moulded cappings. Symmetrical
5-window front in two storeys and attic; plate glass sashes in eared moulded
architraves with triple keystone and moulded sills on console brackets. At
ground floor the sashes are larger, with blocked Gibbsian, architraves and to 5
keystones and flat cornice. Three 2-light casement gabled dormers. Central
8-fielded panel door in fluted Doric pilaster doorcase with segmental pediment
to entablature with triglyphs. In the plinth, to right, a small grilled opening
to cellar. To the right, connecting back to Wycke Cottage (q.v.) an ashlar
flank wall rising almost to the cottage eaves; centre has semi-circular dip
flanked by finials with ball cappings. The first bay of the adjoining property
to the left (Loveday's Cottage) is part of the Vicarage. Interior: ground
floor right has two C18 niched cupboards. First floor left has C18 stone fire
surround with unusual moulding taken to decorative stops at the top and with
central carved swag. Most of the interior which is much less extensive that the
front suggests, is of late C19 or early C20 detail. An extension to the garden
has a balcony gained through a round-headed dormer doorway. Stone vaulted
cellar in right half.


Listing NGR: SO8672409643

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.