History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kemble Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Kemble, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6768 / 51°40'36"N

Longitude: -2.0232 / 2°1'23"W

OS Eastings: 398491

OS Northings: 197554

OS Grid: ST984975

Mapcode National: GBR 2PX.Z5G

Mapcode Global: VHB2W.W38X

Entry Name: Kemble Station

Listing Date: 27 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1304289

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129362

Location: Kemble, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Kemble

Built-Up Area: Kemble

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Kemble All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Rodmarton

Listing Text

KEMBLE KEMBLE VILLAGE
ST 9897
13/65 Kemble Station
GV II
Station, including main ticket office on east side, adjoining
structure on east platform, platform buildings on west side and
linking footbridge, on former G.W.R. Swindon to Gloucester line
opened 1845. Station of 1882, in Tudor style. Main building on
east side in coursed and dressed stone on offset plinth,
bitumenised slate roof, 3 grouped diagonally set square flues on
stone ridge stack, and 2 similar at east end. North front has
gable at each end, continuing as projecting gabled wing on west
side, alongside platform. Gables are all coped with kneelers and
splayed slit openings in flush surround. Wide, open stone Tudor
archway at angle on east end leading to disused platform with half
height 4-panel double doors with spikes. Wooden canopy across
whole of north front, linking archway and gabled wing with dagger
pattern bargeboard. Main station building has generally Tudor
arched doorways in flush stone, and large chamfered stone window
openings with mainly 2 or 3-light wooden mullion and transom
windows, apparently mostly original. Behind building and linking
it to platform is glazed-in walkway with boarded ceiling with cast
iron structure. Glazed-in south side has X-braced open beam
supported on decorative columns partially obscurea by infilling.
Platforms on both side of line have coursed and dressed stone rear
walls with scattered door and window openings in same style as main
building. Sloping boarded canopy over platforms supported on cast
iron structure with X-braced open beam along length carried on 9
unevenly spaced thin fluted columns with twisted decoration at
base and flower capitals, with brackets pierced with trefoils
supporting iron beams at right angles to main beam. Dagger pattern
bargeboard along length of canopy on both sides. Several large
original C19 wooden benches remain on both platforms. Stair from
platform to footbridge across line at south end formed by
interlaced X-bracing along sides with later pitched roof of
corrugated iron. Apart from the loss of one small building behind
main ticket office, this station is virtually complete as built,
unaltered, and in a good state of preservation.


Listing NGR: ST9849197554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.