This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7706 / 52°46'14"N
Longitude: 0.8686 / 0°52'7"E
OS Eastings: 593613
OS Northings: 323080
OS Grid: TF936230
Mapcode National: GBR R84.BDM
Mapcode Global: WHLRJ.9MWC
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304480
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220498
Location: Horningtoft, Breckland, Norfolk, NR20
Civil Parish: Horningtoft
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Horningtoft St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 92 SW HORNINGTOFT
4/43 Church of St.Edmund
Parish Church. C13 and later. Flint with ashlar dressings. Plain tile and
concrete tile roofs. Former west tower (fell in 1796), nave and chancel.
Former tower arch, now west door, of 3 plain chamfered orders. Rubble remains
of tower and eastern ends of walls converted into buttresses. C19 or C20 bell-
cote at gable peak . Two large opposing blocked nave doorways of 2 plain
chamfered orders. 4 C13 lancet windows (and one modern replica to west) and
2 contemporary opposing 2-light Y-traceried windows. Restored chancel arch.
5 lancets to chancel and a C13 priests door to south with single sections
of dogtooth ornament at springings of 2-centred arch. Hood mould with carved
label stops. Large 4-light Perpendicular east window with embattled transom.
C15 3-bay chancel screen with surviving tracery. C17 hexagonal pulpit on
single stem with carved consoles. Guilloche moulded frieze panels. C17 prie-
Dieu with elaborately carved pair of brackets and a guilloche moulded frieze
panel. Restored fragment of a C15 screen in chancel. Undamaged octagonal
font with lions and angels holding shields in panels, angel bowl corbels and
lions on stem.
Listing NGR: TF9361323080
Other nearby listed buildings