This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8141 / 51°48'50"N
Longitude: -1.6949 / 1°41'41"W
OS Eastings: 421128
OS Northings: 212871
OS Grid: SP211128
Mapcode National: GBR 4RG.B8Y
Mapcode Global: VHBZR.KNTP
Entry Name: Barrington Grove
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130858
Location: Barrington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, OX18
Civil Parish: Barrington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Little Barrington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BARRINGTON MIDDLE ROAD,
Little Barrington Village
11/125 Barrington Grove
Large house. C17, altered and extended c1900 by Giles Greenway
(architect possibly Anthony Keck). Coursed squared and dressed
limestone. Ashlar north front to the later range. Artificial
stone slate roof to the C17 range, stone slate to early C19 range,
artifical stone slate and slate to the C19 service wing. C17 range
rectangular in plan, the early C19 range lies north of and parallel
to the earlier range. C19 service wing at the east gable end of
the the C17 range. C17 range; 2 storeys and attic lit by five, 2-
light C20 hipped roof dormers. Five-windowed facade (the right-
hand bay representing a later extension). One 4-light hollow-
chamfered stone-mullioned casement with king mullion (possibly
original). Two possibly C19 two-light stone-mullioned casements to
the ground floor. All other windows 12-pane sashes within dressed
segmental-headed surrounds. Far right-hand bay with a 9-pane sash
at first floor level, C20 three-light wood casement with a concrete
lintel to the ground floor. Central C20 glazed door with glazing
bars. C19 service wing set forward slightly to left. Two storeys
with 5-windowed facade. Four 9-pane sashes to first floor windows
otherwise single light and 2-light metal casements at gable ends.
C20 glazed door with horizontal glazing bars off-centre right. C19
double doorway within a Doric portico with entablature to west side
of the early C19 range.
Early C19 range. two storeys with an almost symmetrical 2:3:2-
windowed north front with single-bay extension to right. All
windows 12-pane sashes, those to the outer bays are set within
projecting surrounds with keystones. Banded rustication to the
ground floor of the central three bays. Four stone steps lead up
to the central window which also functions as a door. Band above
ground floor windows. The windows lighting the first floor are
flanked by single and paired Doric pilasters. Moulded cornice and
parapet above the central three bays. Hipped roof to the late C18-
early C19 range. Axial stacks with moulded cappings. Axial stacks
to the C17 and C19 ranges. Flat coping at the gable ends of both
the latter ranges.
Interior; C18 open-well staircase with column on vase balusters.
C17 panelled room including some carved panelling (removed from
Horsham Park by the Hurst family). Moulded Tudor-arched fireplace
with carved spandrels (one containing a trefoil-leafed carving).
Fielded-panelled doors with reeded architraves with fleurons in the
upper corners. At least four fireplaces with Adam-style gesso
decoration. Cantilevered stone staircase with stick balusters and
wreathed balustrade. Oval lantern over the stairwell. The house
descended to Robert Hurst of Horsham Park (Sussex) in 1873 and
subsequently to Mr. R.H.Y. Mills. (V.C.H. Glos. Vol. VI)
Listing NGR: SP2112812871
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings