History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Catton Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Catton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6667 / 52°40'0"N

Longitude: 1.3039 / 1°18'14"E

OS Eastings: 623501

OS Northings: 312788

OS Grid: TG235127

Mapcode National: GBR WBM.LQ

Mapcode Global: WHMTG.076G

Entry Name: Catton Old Hall

Listing Date: 19 January 1952

Last Amended: 27 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1304704

English Heritage Legacy ID: 228110

Location: Old Catton, Broadland, Norfolk, NR6

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Old Catton

Built-Up Area: Norwich

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Catton Old St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Spixworth

Listing Text

TG 2312 OLD CATTON LODGE LANE

6/20 20 and 22 (Catton
Old Hall) (formerly
19/1/52 listed as Norman
Lodge, Lodge Lane
(including barn)).

II

Manor house, dated 1632, with later additions. Built of brick,
flint and re-used stone, with stone dressings plaintile and pantile
roof. 'T'-shaped plan, 2 storeys and attics, 1½ storeys at rear.
5 bay facade, a,b.c.b.a., with central doorway with C20 door.
Windows of 5 or 3 lights, with rendered chamfered mullions with
rendered quoining, vertical wrought iron stay bars and ovolo
moulded hood moulds. Rendered reveals to door with chamfers and
ogee stops. Rendered pediment with obelisks at base and apex.
Flint plinth and Flemish bond brickwork. Sundial over door with
wrought iron cursor on rendered ground with segmental pediment
above. Rendered lozenge shapes at ends, with octagons with relief
crosses above. East and west gable walls have blocked 2 light
windows at first floor and 2, one light windows at attic storey.
Plat band at attic floor level. Moulded brick kneelers, with stone
finial bases. Parapet gables with gable stacks with triple
octagonal shafts. Decorated tile ridge. Rear elevation of flint
with scattered fenestration, of 2 and 3 light windows with brick
dressings and central date plaque with monogram IB Wedge dormer in
roof. Rear service range, with scattered C19 fenestration and
garage doors and hipped roof. Range of stores and privys extends
at right angles to form rear courtyard. Straight C17 stair in main
range to first floor with turned balusters. Straight flight above
to second floor. C17 panelling on ground floor at west end, with
arch headed panels. Carved fire surround with tapered fluted
pilasters. Chamfered and stopped transverse beams. Some C17
boarded doors. Butt purlin roof. IB is the monogram for
James Bussey, and the sundial was inscribed "Redeem the Time", and
dated 1810.


Listing NGR: TG2350112788

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.