This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8199 / 50°49'11"N
Longitude: -2.2877 / 2°17'15"W
OS Eastings: 379832
OS Northings: 102296
OS Grid: ST798022
Mapcode National: GBR 0YC.JFW
Mapcode Global: FRA 663X.SP0
Entry Name: Abbey Church of St Mary, St Sansom and St Branwalader
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103551
Location: Milton Abbas, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Milton Abbas
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Milton Abbas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 7902 MILTON ABBEY
12/135 Abbey Church of Saint
14-7-55 Mary, Saint Sansom and
Consecrated ecclesiastical building - formerly church of a Benedictine Abbey.
Mainly C14, upper part of tower and north transept C15. Restored c1790.
J Wyatt, and 1865, Sir Gilbert Scott. Walls of stone and flint, ashlar dressings.
Lead roofs with parapets. Choir with north and south aisles, north and south
trancepts, crossing tower, west porch. Nave and aisles not rebuilt after fire
in C14. East wall has a 7-light window with cusped lights. Below this, remains
of arches and vault of former ambulatory. In north wall, remains of arches of
former sacristy. This wall of 7 bays, buttressed, buttresses carried up as
pinnacles. Flying buttresses to clerestory. Aisle has 3-light windows with
geometrical tracery. Pierced parapet with quatrefoils. Clerestory windows
alternately of 2 and 3 lights, with similar tracery. Similar parapet. In
north transept, remains of arches and vault to former cloister. North window
of 8 lights, mullioned and transomed, with perpendicular tracery. Pierced
parapet with quatrefoils and pinnacles. West wall has built-up moulded arches
(to projected nave and aisles) with attached shaftes and moulded caps. Similar
shaftes and start of arches and walls to projected nave and aisles. Crossing
tower has flat buttresses carried up above parapet as pinnacles. Pierced
parapet as before. In belfry, each face has two 2-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery. Porch, C19, has flat roof with pierced parapet and gargoyles. Angle
buttresses with gabled tops. Pointed arched doorway. West wall of north transept
has two 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, one extending to floor level.
West wall of south transept has 3 windows at upper and 2 at lower level, all
with geometrical tracery. South elevation of choir similar to north. South
transept window of 7 lights with geometrical tracery. Interior: choir of 7
bays, has 1st, 3rd and 5th bays from east filled in solid. Columns with
attached shafts and moulded arches. Quadripartite vaults to choir and aisles.
No triforium in choir, but gallery under south transept windows. Lierne vaults
in transepts; fan vault to crossing. C14 pulpitum under east tower arch. C15
reredos with canopied niches. C14 sedilia south of choir. C15 pyx shrine on
north choir wall. C18 marble alter in south choir aisle. C18 monument by
A Carlini, to Lady Milton, in north transept. Monuments to Tregonwell and
Bankes families in north choir aisle. A church of major importance. RCHM.
Monument 1 (Dorset. Vol.III)
Listing NGR: ST7983002300
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings