This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.98 / 50°58'47"N
Longitude: -2.1693 / 2°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 388210
OS Northings: 120076
OS Grid: ST882200
Mapcode National: GBR 1XX.JCJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 66BJ.BPB
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 16 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304933
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103031
Location: Melbury Abbas, North Dorset, Dorset, SP7
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Melbury Abbas
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Melbury Abbas St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 82 SE MELBURY ABBAS QUARRY LANE
8/190 Church of
Parish Church, 1852. By George Evans of Wimborne. Ashlar with tiled
roofs and stone gable copings with finials. Moulded strings and
plinth. Diagonal buttresses. Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle
continuous with tower and south transept, north transept, north vestry,
south porch. In the 'Decorated' style with flowing tracery. Tower:
3-stage, embattled, with diagonal buttresses and octagonal vice turret
projecting above roof line with short spire: 2-centred west window
under label with head-stops; belfrey has paired lancets with pierced
stone panels. South aisle has 2 square headed, 2-light windows with
flowing tracery. North nave windows are 2-centred, of 2 lights with
flowing tracery. Transept windows are 2-centred with reticulated
tracery. South chancel wall has a lancet with flowing tracery to the
west and a 2-light, 2-centred window with flowing tracery to the east.
The north wall of the chancel has a similar lancet. East chancel
window of 3-lights with flowing tracery under 2-centred head. East
vestry window of 2-lights with flowing tracery. South porch has
2-centred, moulded arch,shafted jambs and a label with head stops.
South doorway has 2-centred, moulded head with continuous jambs and
label with carved foliage stops, 2-centred vice door. Interior
features: 2-centred, moulded chancel arch with shafted jambs and label
with elaborate head-stops; 3 bay arcade with smaller supplementary bay
west, 2-centred, of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal piers; 2-centred,
moulded vestry arch with shafted jambs; other arches of 2 or 3 straight
chamfered orders; nave and transept have hammer beam roofs with arch-
braced collars springing from elaborately carved angel corbels; boarded,
ribbed, waggon roof to chancel; flat, ribbed, boarded aisle roof;
wooden pulpit with ogee-headed panels on stone base; octagonal pulpit
with ogee-headed panels in baptistry under tower; pews with poppy heads
carved in chancel; various C19 encaustic tiles; C19 glass.
(RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 47, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N. The
Buildings of England: Dorset. Penguin, 1972, p 272.)
Listing NGR: ST8821020076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings