History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Back Edge

A Grade II Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7882 / 51°47'17"N

Longitude: -2.2138 / 2°12'49"W

OS Eastings: 385351

OS Northings: 209974

OS Grid: SO853099

Mapcode National: GBR 1LZ.YZ1

Mapcode Global: VH94R.L91Z

Entry Name: Back Edge

Listing Date: 21 October 1955

Last Amended: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1304942

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133233

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Edge St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Painswick

Listing Text

PAINSWICK EDGE
SO 80 NE
5/58 Back Edge
(formerly listed as 'House
21.10.55 next east of Back Edge
Cottage)
II
Large detached house. Mid C17. Coursed and squared limestone, stone slate
roof. A principal cross-gabled block to the east with lower wing to west. Two
storeys, attic, basement. Entrance front is 1 + 3 windows; gabled left end has
4-light with king-mullion at ground and first floors, 2-light with hoodmould to
gable; then in right half 2 and 3-light at ground floor, two 2-light and a
3-light at first floor. Off-centre left a C20 door under peaked head.
Continuous moulded string over ground floor windows, and to gable. Return,
left, has twin gables. Here is plinth with offset at basement, then 2 and
3-light; a 12-pane sash in moulded surround, and 4-light with king mullion; at
first floor 4:2:4-light, and in gables, 2-light with hood and vertical oculus.
Gable return left is as east front, but 4-light has had door inserted, and there
is no plinth. All windows in these fronts ovolo-mould stone mullioned case-
ments. South front has hipped wing set in corner of L to left. West front has
2-light casements, mainly recessed chamfer mullions, but are in ovolo mould with
trefoil heads. Inset low wing has door and a 2-light wood casement. North and
south gables, carry paired stacks to offset and skirt with joined cappings;
flues to north have been rebuilt. Interior: considerably reconstructed early
1950s, but retains stair with good C17 balustrade to square newel and 1650
finial; flat arched moulded fire surround ground floor, south; 2 encased beams;
north room fine stone surround fireplace with date 1745 WM (William Mills); wide
chamfered timber bressummer to kitchen fireplace. Main bedroom has deep stone
lintel and overmantel to fire; flat diamond stops, pulvinated frieze. Many
early door frames and one early door. 4 grand Cotswold house which has been
allowed to deteriorate during the time of World War II.


Listing NGR: SO8535109974

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.