This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9313 / 51°55'52"N
Longitude: -2.4032 / 2°24'11"W
OS Eastings: 372371
OS Northings: 225944
OS Grid: SO723259
Mapcode National: GBR NRFL.7RT
Mapcode Global: VH93W.9QC9
Entry Name: Morse Monument, in the Churchyard, About 4 Metres South East of South East Corner of South Aisle, Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125656
Location: Newent, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL18
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Newent
Built-Up Area: Newent
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Newent St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 7225-7325 NEWENT CHURCH STREET
13/124 Morse monument, in the churchyard
about 4m south-east of south-east
corner of south aisle,
Church of St. Mary
Chest tomb; probably second half C18; stone. Flat lid, simply
moulded edge. South side plain, with incised line as margin,
scalloped corners with paterae; north side raised panel with
acanthus moulding, indented segmental ends, rococo carving outside.
Ends elongated pilasters, west coat of arms in rococo surround,
carved decoration to narrow ends. East end plain, probably
originally as west, but weathered. Moulded plinth on wider,
rectangular base. Commemorates Morse on north side, inscription
weathered; Goode on south, 1838 and 1841.
Listing NGR: SO7237125944
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings